• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did I create SIBO by taking too many Probiotics?!

So I've been working to strengthen my microbiome to treat my main issues- histamine intolerance, Hashi's/adrenal and Interstitial Cystitis/chronic UTIs. Never had traditional 'gut' stuff.

1.5 years ago, I started a single strain L Rhamnosus probiotic from Klaire and a Bifido probiotic from Seeking Health. Both meant to lower histamine. I had success and my health improved, I had more regular BMs and lost weight!

I also went ahead a couple months ago and completed the SIBO breath test. Result? No SIBO.

When I got that all clear, I guess I saw it as a license to really ramp up my probiotic use even more. In addition to the above, I started a new liquid coconut kefir probiotic. I started taking a teaspoon 2x daily. I lost even more weight, was regular and my asthma and hives almost totally went away. I had worked up slowly but a few weeks ago, I started to have about 2 tablespoons 2x daily. I was craving it.

Then I started to have weird symptoms. Constipation and bloating. Anytime I ate or drank. After a week, I realized it was the probiotic. I stopped for 5 days and the symptoms abated although I'm not at 100%. I now need 1 tablespoon of flaxseed daily to get me moving- didn't before.

Last night I took one tiny teaspoon of the probiotic to see if it was a fluke and I had bloating and constipation ALL day the next day and I'm still not fully right today.

I have some theories:

1.) I got a bad batch of this coconut stuff OR I contaminated it myself (they say not to double dip but sometimes I forget)
2.) Taking many probiotics = SIBO
3.) I'm actually just detoxing and the bad bacteria are dying and that's why I feel uncomfortable.
4.) It *was* working but now I don't need any more of those particular strains and my body is letting me know I should rotate to something different.

Thoughts? Here is a the liquid coconut brand I'm referring to:

https://thecoconutcult.com/

I'm thinking of switching to MegaSpore.....

Lisa108

or 5.) you developed a sensitivity against coconut? (That's what happened to me when I got on the AIP diet last year and used coconut products every day.)

Just a thought...

ljimbo423

3.) I'm actually just detoxing and the bad bacteria are dying and that's why I feel uncomfortable.

This would be my guess. Here is a quote from the link you provided, which I'm sure applies to people without CFS. People with CFS would have a much stronger reaction, I think.

Just because, in general, most with CFS have significant dysbiosis, even if they don't have SIBO.

Start With Just A Few Spoonfuls
We recommend starting with just a few spoonfuls and progressing your way to a whole bowl. Side effects may include bowel movement and mild headaches. Think of our yogurt as a replacement for your daily probiotic supplement or as your new favorite yogurt. It’s also safe to eat everyday. We’re warning you, it’s addicting.

Jim

JES

I became sensitive to probiotics over the last couple of years in a way that I was never before. Nowadays when I take a probiotic, there is about a 30% chance that it will cause SIBO or slow transition and bloating. The standard lactobacillus or bifidobacteria I can usually deal with, but the more strains in the mix, the more likely it will cause SIBO for me. Same with spore-based probiotics, I did especially bad on the well-known Prescript Assist brand. Ditto with lactoferrin or colostrum. Luckily, the effects have always been reversible for me even if it has sometimes taken a couple of weeks.

I believe the SIBO is not a direct result of a poor probiotic, but rather a result of the progression of this disease. My body and immune system was perfectly able to handle those healthy bacteria previously, but nowadays it struggles. We know that probiotics can be even dangerous to take for people that have other well documented immune deficiencies, as a dysfunctional immune system does not respond the same way even to those benign bacteria.

Waverunner

I believe the SIBO is not a direct result of a poor probiotic, but rather a result of the progression of this disease. My body and immune system was perfectly able to handle those healthy bacteria previously, but nowadays it struggles. We know that probiotics can be even dangerous to take for people that have other well documented immune deficiencies, as a dysfunctional immune system does not respond the same way even to those benign bacteria.

Same here. I think that this is a huge issue with CFS and other diseases. Once the immune system is down on a wrong trajectory this causes more and more problems the longer the illness persists. I would be nice to have a treatment option that resets the immune system without causing too many side effects.

renski

Maybe you overdid the probiotics, some antibiotics would probably help reset things. At least they did for me

Daffodil

i think we all have SIBO. its a downstream affect of the inflammatory process of the disease. in my opinion, even if it was negative for a while, it would have probably returned.

Journeyman

So I've been working to strengthen my microbiome to treat my main issues- histamine intolerance, Hashi's/adrenal and Interstitial Cystitis/chronic UTIs. Never had traditional 'gut' stuff.

1.5 years ago, I started a single strain L Rhamnosus probiotic from Klaire and a Bifido probiotic from Seeking Health. Both meant to lower histamine. I had success and my health improved, I had more regular BMs and lost weight!

I also went ahead a couple months ago and completed the SIBO breath test. Result? No SIBO.

When I got that all clear, I guess I saw it as a license to really ramp up my probiotic use even more. In addition to the above, I started a new liquid coconut kefir probiotic. I started taking a teaspoon 2x daily. I lost even more weight, was regular and my asthma and hives almost totally went away. I had worked up slowly but a few weeks ago, I started to have about 2 tablespoons 2x daily. I was craving it.

Then I started to have weird symptoms. Constipation and bloating. Anytime I ate or drank. After a week, I realized it was the probiotic. I stopped for 5 days and the symptoms abated although I'm not at 100%. I now need 1 tablespoon of flaxseed daily to get me moving- didn't before.

Last night I took one tiny teaspoon of the probiotic to see if it was a fluke and I had bloating and constipation ALL day the next day and I'm still not fully right today.

I have some theories:

1.) I got a bad batch of this coconut stuff OR I contaminated it myself (they say not to double dip but sometimes I forget)
2.) Taking many probiotics = SIBO
4.) It *was* working but now I don't need any more of those particular strains and my body is letting me know I should rotate to something different.

Thoughts? Here is a the liquid coconut brand I'm referring to:

https://thecoconutcult.com/

I'm thinking of switching to MegaSpore.....
This could be a fruitful thread for both of us as I too have been consuming these coconut kefir probiotics in large doses for just a few months now.

(1)When you say you've never had traditional 'gut stuff' do you mean you've never had observable gut problems of your own? Or do you mean you've never had probiotics before?

(2) Have you had a repeat SIBO breath test since the return of the bloating/discomfort or are the feelings so similar to that which you had during previous positive breath tests that you just know its SIBO again? Note that SIBO isn't just the result of dysbiosis. It can result from a faulty 'house cleaner' of the gut (the migrating motor complex) due to previous food poisoning incidence, or snacking regularly throughout the day thus preventing it ever working but for overnight fasts) It can also be caused by faulty ileocecal valve function whereby the valve doesn't close properly allowing the contents of the ileum back into the .... (where it shouldn't be)

(3) Did you take any antibiotics in/around the time you had a return to the bloating/discomfort and I don't mean during I'm talking perhaps in the 3-4 weeks after finishing antibiotics...

Regards

Journeyman

Same here. I think that this is a huge issue with CFS and other diseases. Once the immune system is down on a wrong trajectory this causes more and more problems the longer the illness persists. I would be nice to have a treatment option that resets the immune system without causing too many side effects.

I think extended fasting can help immune system clear out damaged portions and regenerate.