• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diagnostic Criteria - How is it determined which one doctors use?

RyeRyeBread

I'm currently grinding through the seeking-diagnosis phase, and I'm about to see another new doctor.
I plan on bringing print outs, lists, resources (the whole 9 yards) - including diagnostic criteria. I was planning on referencing the ICC for ME, as I meet the criteria and would prefer to be diagnosed with ME and avoid just CFS. I also like how detailed it is, it encompasses most if not all of my symptoms.

I know some criteria are only used in some places..
Is the ICC used in the US? What determines which criteria a diagnosing physician uses? Is it realistic of me to request/recommend a certain criteria to be used in my future diagnosis?

basically, how does it all work 😂?

thanks in advance :sluggish:

RyeRyeBread

Unfortunately, doctors in the US can use any diagnostic criteria they like, or even make up their own.

Whether a doctor is open to your suggestions mostly depends upon the doctor's personality and how well you "click" with them.

In that sense, seeing a new doctor is kind of like dating. :jaw-drop::bang-head:
Wow that is crazy :wide-eyed:
It's both unfortunate, and fortunate smh
In that case.. I think I'll print the whole thing out :thumbsup:
If they have any issues with it, it's onto the next!

Rufous McKinney

I have the odd SEID diagnosis, but my doctor didn't test anything or check any lists.

He already had one patient it seems..

.I guess I"ve never really ask him: How is it he knows we exist?