• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA-S very high?

Replenished

I've gone down the route of some private blood tests as I've been getting nowhere on the NHS. They've come back with a few markers very slightly off but most notably DHEA-S which is very very high. Does anyone know what this could be in relation to?

I am male, early 30s. My testosterone appears to be on the low side but in normal ranges.

My symptoms are constant dehydration and dry mouth, feeling depleted, weak, fatigued and unwell.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This is from Livestrong.com:

Causes of High Levels

As noted by the National Institutes of Health, DHEA is at its highest in early adulthood, but sometimes higher-than-normal levels can occur regardless of age. Adrenal disease is the main cause of high DHEA levels, according to the American Association for Clinical Chemistry. Adrenal tumors -- either benign or cancerous growths that attach themselves to the adrenal glands -- may cause an overproduction of the DHEA hormone. Adrenal hyperplasia, a swelling of the gland, can also cause high levels of DHEA.

I wouldn't panic though. Maybe there is another explanation. Are there any supplements that you take that contain DHEA?

Replenished

Thanks Judee, I'm not panicking. There no supplements I take containing DHEA.

My Progesterone levels were also very low if that means anything.

Davsey27

I've gone down the route of some private blood tests as I've been getting nowhere on the NHS. They've come back with a few markers very slightly off but most notably DHEA-S which is very very high. Does anyone know what this could be in relation to?

I am male, early 30s. My testosterone appears to be on the low side but in normal ranges.

My symptoms are constant dehydration and dry mouth, feeling depleted, weak, fatigued and unwell.

Have you had a 24 hr cortisol test done?

Davsey27

No, my endo doesn't seem interested. I had a one of morning Cortisol test the other week which was 606 nmol/L
Do you think the 24hr Cortisol test is worth pursuing?

How elevated is dhea(s) in relation to ref range?

Yes I would do a 24 hour cortisol saliva .Given that dhea s is elevated and your Am cortisol looks on the higher end of normal it may be useful to see how it fluctuates throughout the day and if it is elevated in the pm.High cortisol and high dhea s seems to point to HPA-axis issues.

Also given that high dhea (s)and cues toward elevated cortisol perhaps requesting Ct or mri just to rule out adrenal tumor given the signs of elevated may be useful.Would also test to rule out other conditions

Then once other conditons are ruled out perhaps start looking into ways to lower cortisol

It may be helpful to find de-stress strategies regardless

https://www.wikihow.com/Lower-DHEA

Last edited: