• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Describe your PEM

Mine started when I recovered from a killer flu (fever for ten days), followed by three months of bronchial infection. I thought I was still so tired because I was lazy and out Of shape and that I just needed to exercise. The first time I took hikes for two days and then about 2 1/2 three days after I got what I thought was the flu again. Always it’s the same pattern, which I have finally woken up to. I Would (before my realization) start to have more energy and then I would overdo it with exercising and then within 72 hours I would crash and feel sick, like I have a flu but with no temperature (I think). I’m in bed for like two days. Each time I would repeat it I would feel worse after, and the crash would last longer until I suspect that now, even climbing stairs as I have to do for work, gives it to me, kind of on a semi continual basis—-with a weird lassitude crappy feeling in my bones and muscles.

sometexan84

1) When did your PEM started. At the same time of illness or later?
2) What does your PEM feels like.
3) Is it constant or Comes and Goes, does it get better and worse.
4) What is the relationship of PEM w activity level. Is the PEM worse when relapsing?
5) Do you get any sign that PEM is coming and are you able to avoid?
6) Is there a particular time of the day where you are more likely to experience PEM.

1) Started gradually, I think. I just remember being tired for multiple days after a leg workout. I remember thinking "Squats are killing me, must mean I'm making great progress!" Would happen after a 6 mile run. Then after an arms day. I'd need multiple "Rest Days". And I was like "Hm... this is weird".

It got worse from there. And somewhere along the line I realized that exercising = fatigue. I'm too scared to try exercising now. The PEM began pretty much when my fatigue in general began. And just got worse w/ time.

2) PEM for me.. feels often like it's early Sunday afternoon, you're home from being out doing stuff, and you need a nap. Except I get this feeling the moment I wake up in the AM. And when I'm up and trying to be productive, it feels like I am too tired to do anything, but not tired enough to sleep.

3) The PEM fatigue is constant enough for me to be scared to get back into fitness.

4) I feel like it's worse if I do something that involves muscle soreness or recovery. But if I just do 20 min elliptical, then it will only bring PEM fatigue for about 24-48 hrs, and not too bad.

5) Good question, don't think I've noticed

6) Don't think so