• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depersonalization

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thank you for your kind words, Redgreen. I wouldn't get too caught up in thinking that you have a hidden infection somewhere- I mean, everyone has latent viruses and such, it's just a matter of our immune systems handling them.

It's quite difficult for our bodies to overcome pathogens such as the bacteria and parasites that cause food poisoning. Some of those are Salmonella, Shigella, Listeria, certain types of E. coli and protozoa like giardia. Did any of the doctors you saw ever ask you if you had gone camping or traveled outside the country? If they didn't, then should have, especially if you are having GI symptoms. Are they aware you were in Jamaica?

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-4-select-destinations/jamaica

"Travelers’ diarrhea is one of the most common travel-related illnesses, and Jamaica has attack rates of 8%–20%."

Any doctor can diagnose traveler's diarrhea, medical or naturopath. Either one can write a prescription for antibiotics or anti-protozoa meds. The naturopath is most likely to be the one most helpful in keeping GI distress down while you take any antibiotics. After you finish a round of antibiotics you can re-establish good gut bacteria by taking probiotics. Again, a naturopath will excel at this, or you can take some chances and research probiotics here or on the rest of the Internet.

I'm not saying you have a GI infection, but it would be best to have it ruled out before you go on to any other protocols. It's hard to help a body that is fighting a pathogen. Pathogens should be eliminated first, if at all possible. (Pathogen = bad bacteria or protozoa.)

The bugs that normally inhabit us aren't a big concern. Commensalism is a relationship between two organisms where one organism benefits without affecting the other. Mutualism is a relationship between two organisms where both organisms benefit. Our gastrointestinal system is a mutualistic system. The bacteria get a place to live and the bacteria help process our food and produce chemicals that are beneficial to us.

It's quite difficult for our bodies to overcome pathogens such as the bacteria and parasites that cause food poisoning. Some of those are Salmonella, Shigella, Listeria, certain types of E. coli and protozoa like giardia. Did any of the doctors you saw ever ask you if you had gone camping or traveled outside the country? If they didn't, then should have, especially if you are having GI symptoms. Are they aware you were in Jamaica?

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-4-select-destinations/jamaica

"Travelers’ diarrhea is one of the most common travel-related illnesses, and Jamaica has attack rates of 8%–20%."

Any doctor can diagnose traveler's diarrhea, medical or naturopath. Either one can write a prescription for antibiotics or anti-protozoa meds. The naturopath is most likely to be the one most helpful in keeping GI distress down while you take any antibiotics. After you finish a round of antibiotics you can re-establish good gut bacteria by taking probiotics. Again, a naturopath will excel at this, or you can take some chances and research probiotics here or on the rest of the Internet.

I'm not saying you have a GI infection, but it would be best to have it ruled out before you go on to any other protocols. It's hard to help a body that is fighting a pathogen. Pathogens should be eliminated first, if at all possible. (Pathogen = bad bacteria or protozoa.)

The bugs that normally inhabit us aren't a big concern. Commensalism is a relationship between two organisms where one organism benefits without affecting the other. Mutualism is a relationship between two organisms where both organisms benefit. Our gastrointestinal system is a mutualistic system. The bacteria get a place to live and the bacteria help process our food and produce chemicals that are beneficial to us.

Thank you for your response , although I went in January and my stomach problems have disappeared at least 2 months ago , naturopath is aware of this and has mentioned to me that she thinks maybe I never recovered from it? Right now she gave me some things for my drenals , immune system and amino acid

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thank you for your response , although I went in January and my stomach problems have disappeared at least 2 months ago , naturopath is aware of this and has mentioned to me that she thinks maybe I never recovered from it? Right now she gave me some things for my drenals , immune system and amino acid

Did she give you a gut/stool test to see what bacteria were there?

Sushi

Aerose91

A lot of naturopathy and functional practitioners, I've found, have the capability to order all the tests but don't do it right away. Either for financial reasons or whatever it is, sometimes you have to hold their hand a little and request certain tests to be done. That's what I do with my doc and she is very responsive.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

Protozoa can live with you for months even though your symptoms improve. Take a look at what giardia can do:
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/disease.html

"Sometimes, the symptoms of giardiasis might seem to resolve, only to come back again after several days or weeks."

DeGenesis

I experienced DP/DR 24/7 for approximately 2 years. I had the "in a movie effect", I felt like my identity had died, etc. etc. Now I only experience DP/DR occasionally and I can usually pinpoint the trigger. I don't know if you are on the big DP/DR forum, but while I found that it can be a useful resource, more often than not there is a lot of hysteria which made things considerably worse for me. I think most of the people who no longer experience DP/DR have left. I have no proof of this, and it is not related to the forum itself, or it's administration, but reading about DP/DR was the one of the worst triggers for me, especially in the early stages of my recovery.

Aerose91

I experienced DP/DR 24/7 for approximately 2 years. I had the "in a movie effect", I felt like my identity had died, etc. etc. Now I only experience DP/DR occasionally and I can usually pinpoint the trigger. I don't know if you are on the big DP/DR forum, but while I found that it can be a useful resource, more often than not there is a lot of hysteria which made things considerably worse for me. I think most of the people who no longer experience DP/DR have left. I have no proof of this, and it is not related to the forum itself, or it's administration, but reading about DP/DR was the one of the worst triggers for me, especially in the early stages of my recovery.

Do you know what the cause of your DP was? Did it just fade as you recovered?

Hip

For anyone with depersonalization and/or derealization symptoms, an interesting angle to research is the involvement of the kappa opioid receptor.

Some are suggesting that these conditions are caused by over activation of the kappa opioid receptors in the brain.

See this thread for example:

I might be on to something in the curing of depersonalization disorder : DrugNerds

In this article it says:
It may be of note that the selective kappa opioid receptor agonist enadoline has been found to induce depersonalisation, although this was only one of numerous reported physical and psychological effects (Walsh et al, 2001).

Source: Understanding and treating depersonalisation disorder

Another thing to looking into might be high dose N-acetyl-cysteine:

There is a thread HERE about how one individual with depersonalization and derealization cured these conditions using 2 to 4 grams of N-acetyl-cysteine a day, plus 0.5 mg of buprenorphine.

Last edited: