• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dental Health Through Nutrition

Dainty

leela,

Thank you for your response. WHat do you know aobut oil pulling with alternative oils? The only ones that might be a possibility for me would be olive oil or coconut oil. If those might work, I'll do some research into it. :)

And, just to clarify the record, I can brush and floss my teeth about every day or every other day, but every once in a while I have a really bad week and cannot do it at all for a while.

Wow, I was only concerned.

I understand you are concerned, Sally...allow me to attempt to explain why your post was unhelpful to me.

What if a healthy person said to you, "You can't regularly exercise?! Oh my gosh! That's so bad for you, your muscle tone, your heart..." Would you consider that statement helpful? Or would you be thinking, "Yes, I know it's bad for me but I can't do anything about it, so quit telling me how terrible it is"?

I'm sorry I'm upset with you when you apparently only wish to help. I assure you, I'm as concerned as you are, if not moreso. I've decided to do things this way because due to my severe MCS having my cavities filled would be a dangerous proceedure for me. If/when I decide it's been a good try but just isn't working, I will eventually need to risk it. In the meantime, the best way you can help is to either encourage me or to just sit back and wait until after this pans out. Experimental treatments with so much at stake are, by nature, a scary process. Because my mind is made up I prefer to not focus on the concerning aspects of it right now, but rather to press on and hope for the best. I'm sure you understand.

leela

Dainty,
According to my research, it is said oil pulling traditionally works best with sesame or sunflower oils-- a main proponent of the practice also suggests peanut oil (which I'm guessing would also not work for you) and "distal oil, which I think was a mistranslation. However nut/seed allergies are prevalent in the west and I notice many people online getting results from Coconut oil--it has cooling properties, and of course anti-bacterial/anti-viral properties as you probably know. (Though I hope you live somewhere where it's not always a solid white blob like in my house ;) Just be sure to get the cold-pressed variety of whatever oil you chose to work with.

When I'm doing it, I keep the bottle in the bathroom so that when I get up for that first morning pee, I just take a swig, grab a towel, and lie right back down in bed. It makes it so much easier to pass the 15-20 minute period, which seems like an eternity otherwise.
Here is one article, there is much out there if you're willing to surf a bit:
http://www.oilpulling.com/PULLING OIL_karacharticle.pdf
and finally, I just found this, a list someone made of anecdotal reports from using different oils:
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html#SANDY

Swishily,
~leela

Fejal

Everyone should be peeling vegetables and on a multi-mineral due to soil depletion of trace minerals and pesticide contamination of vegetable peels. I recommend a half dose of Country Life Total Mins without Iron daily.

Another factor is calcium balance. Phosphates from soda and acid body pH (excess grains, insufficient veges, excess animal protein) leach calcium from bones.