• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Deglycerized licorice (DGL) and weight loss.

EddieB

In trying to heal my never-ending stomach woes, I got serious about taking DGL about 5 weeks ago. At first, seemed like it was making things worse, then better, then couldn’t tell. But there’s so much written about it’s healing abilities, so I stuck with it.

But something unexpected has happened. I’ve lost nearly 6 lbs since beginning taking it. Did some research and sure enough, a bunch of studies showing that it does indeed reduce body fat. I’m desperately trying to keep weight on, so this isn’t good for me.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It also has estrogenic effects but I think that would help with weight gain and not loss. ?? I wonder though if somehow it is affecting some other hormone in you. For ME/CFS I've noticed too that we often get paradoxical side effects, i.e. something makes most people sleepy but makes us wired.

What type of stomach woes are you experiencing?

I have a chart on one of our mirrors for our different stomach woes.

-Acid stomach - Licorice (DGL) or Aloe
-Nausea - Ginger (but can make acid worse)
-Rot Gut (food feels like it just sits there like a rock) - Digestive Enzymes or artichoke w/or w/o milk thistle
-IBS Stomach cramps - Mycopryl (+ Pepogest if really bad--but the latter can make acid worse)
-Gas and Bloating - Activated Charcoal or a digestive enzyme
-Loose stools - Activated Charcoal or Digestive enzyme
-Constipation - Mycopryl, green tea, and/or Magnesium oxide (Artichoke and milk thistle taken together also seem to help with this)

Glutamate can also be soothing but can cause excitotoxin effects.

Marshmallow is also soothing.

The one we tend to go to the most though is the Mycopryl. When I was first diagnosed with IBS I had two weeks of solid pain and tried everything on that list along with probiotics, the normal otc things and two RX that the gastroenterologist gave me. Nothing touched the pain until I remembered I had not tried the Mycopryl. Within 5 minutes the pain started to go away. When that doesn't work alone I add the Pepogest. Do not lay down right away after taking these two because they can back up the esophagus and for the Pepogest that is especially uncomfortable. Also drink a few extra swallows of water with the Mycopryl because the capsule seems to stick in the esophagus a bit going down.

Hope you figure it out. Losing weight when you don't need to can be tough. My mom is bones and we are trying to get her to gain weight. Very hard to do.

Edit: Also are you on any medications? You could see if other people are experiencing stomach issues with them by going to askapatient.com and looking up reviews of your particular meds.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@EddieB
Have you tried Slippery Elm? Very soothing to stomach lining, plus it has nutritive qualities.

I took DGL for years pre, during, and post-chemo, and every so often still have to use it for stomach pain. Works like a charm.

I don't think that it has as strong an estogenic effect as non-deglychirrizinated licorice would, but not sure.

DAMN !!! Wrote this almost 2 hours ago, brain wandered off and left it in reply box .... some days I do despair ....

EddieB

Hi Judee and YippeeK,

Thank you for responding,

I’ve posted my whole sob story elsewhere here, so I won’t go all into it again. Essentially, my digestive system acts as though it’s possessed. Trying to do all the good, right stuff, but it refuses to respond.

Aloe Vera - makes more acid
Digestive enzymes - cause severe burning
Slippery Elm - causes nausea / stomach upset, doesn’t agree with me for some reason.
Marshmallow Root - doesn’t seem to bother me, I’m taking it daily, but no great relief
Bone broth/glutamine - makes symptoms worse
Mastic Gum - taking 2 capsules at night before bed, can’t tell if it’s helping/hurting
Magnesium - causes stomach upset, tried numerous types, can only tolerate small amount of orotate daily

Also just read about DGL has xylitol, sorbitol, and mannitol sweeteners. Seems that all brands have it. Can be a problem for IBS. But it’s the recent unexpected weight loss that has me really questioning it. I eat the same amount, no other changes. So I’ll have to wait and see if stopping it has any effect on my weight. Just wondering if anyone else had side effects from it.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

I’ve posted my whole sob story elsewhere here, so I won’t go all into it again.
I feel like an idiot ..... I read your original post in 'Introduce' thread, and I should have at least remembered to go back and check it out before posting ....

I cant remember if you've tried any microbiome balancing ..... please don't think I dont care, today I cant remember if I've tried it .....

Am tagging in @ljimbo423 who's had some pretty impressive results from that very thing ....

EddieB

I feel like an idiot
No, don’t do that.
I cant remember if you've tried any microbiome balancing
I did several a few years ago (Genova, OAT, couple more I can’t remember). Some things were high, others low, but nothing conclusive. I would consider doing another Genova, but unless I can find someone that can interpret the results, it’s useless information.

Had a phone appointment with my primary doctor last week, she suggested I do a food sensitivities test from Everlywell. But after doing some research, doesn’t seem to be very sound science.

ljimbo423

Am tagging in @ljimbo423 who's had some pretty impressive results from that very thing ....

I had some of the same problems as @EddieB treating my gut. Being super sensitive to supplements, which makes treating the gut a long term thing.

Also a lowcarb diet would be a must. If you're already under weight that could be a problem. Then there's finding the underlying cause of the gut issues. Is it just dysbiosis, a poor migrating motor complex, a parasite, chronic stress or something else.

After 3.5 years of fairly aggressively treating dysbiosis and leaky gut and still only functioning at a 6. I'm now thinking chronic stress might be a big underlying cause in my case. Only time will tell.

EddieB

Then there's finding the underlying cause of the gut issues. Is it just dysbiosis, a poor migrating motor complex, a parasite, chronic stress or something else.

How does one determine if they have dysbiosis? Tests or assumptions?

That’s a big unknown for me. I just did another h pylori test, because my symptoms sooo act like it. Negative, of course. Extensive parasite testing, SIBO test, echo/entero virus, all negative. Trying to do the mastic gum regardless, as it’s supposed to breakup harmful bacteria while not hindering the good.
I had two endoscopy/colonoscopy back to back a few years ago, two different doctors, same results. Also did a small bowl series. No answers.

I'm now thinking chronic stress might be a big underlying cause in my case. Only time will tell.
Considering that as well.

Last edited:

ljimbo423

How does one determine if they have dysbiosis? Tests or assumptions?

I had a cdsa test done years ago that showed "severe dysbiosis". It was a number scale where 0 was no dysbiosis and 20 was as high as the test could measure. Mine was an 18 out of 20!

SIBO tests are not very reliable unfortunately. Especially the lactulose test. The glucose test is more accurate but still not nearly 100%. Did you have more than 1 sibo test? If more than 1 were negative that would make it less likely they were false negatives.

Considering that as well.

For several years I was doing pretty well, even doing a slow jog every other day. That partial remission came during a very low stress period in my life. Actually things were going great for the most part.

On the flip side, that all went down the tubes when I got some really bad news and a couple of other stresses hit at the very same time.

I've not been able to get back to that level of functioning yet even though I'm eating 10 times better than when i was able to jog every other day.

EddieB

Thanks for your response.

100%. Did you have more than 1 sibo test?
Just both lactose and glucose.

That partial remission came during a very low stress period in my life. Actually things were going great for the most part.
Going through a bad stretch right now, and there has been some stress issues that have recently somewhat resolved. We’ll see if that brings any relief.

Do you notice a connection between fatigue and digestion? When I have more energy, the digestive issues aren’t as bad.

had a cdsa test done
Where does one get this test?

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@ljimbo423

Thank you for responding to the tag and being so forthcoming re disbiosis, SIBO, stress, etc ....

I think stress is a greatly underrated factor in pretty much everything, pretty much down the line, and I'm sooooo sorry that really bad news hit you along with other simultaneous stressors .... you're one of those souls who deserves so much better :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: ....

EDIT ..... for two missing words that made if hard t figure out what I was actually saying .... kudos to those who were able to :woot::woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Just both lactose and glucose.

It looks like you can cross SIBO off the list, most likely.

Do you notice a connection between fatigue and digestion? When I have more energy, the digestive issues aren’t as bad.

Yes. When I'm fatigued or in PEM my digestion is much worse or if I'm stressed, my digestion is also much worse.

Going through a bad stretch right now, and there has been some stress issues that have recently somewhat resolved. We’ll see if that brings any relief.

I hope the lower level of stress helps to improve your symptoms. It certainly can't hurt.;)

EddieB

I think Genova was called "Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory" when I had my test done and is now called Genova.

I've never heard of Everlywell.

Several different tests / labs. There is a “Great Smokies” lab, a “Great Plains” lab, which did my OAT test, and Genova.

I’ve done food elimination numerous times, with no clear results. Everlywell is supposed to be a food sensitivities test, that measures IgG. My doctor (an MD) thinks highly of it, but reviews I’ve read are mixed. I would appreciate opinions of those here of it.

godlovesatrier

I am going to try this eddie, as an alternative to famotidine. I hope it works. If I lose weight as well that would be amazing. Last time I took licorice tho it tanked my potassium so hard I wasn't able to leave my bed, so I hope for no repeat of that ha!

EddieB

There’s licorice root, and then deglycerized licorice. I can’t remember all the details, but straight licorice root extract has some benefits that the DGL version doesn’t. Along with some negative side effects. As I remember, unless you’re having blood pressure problems, a short time use shouldn’t give trouble.

godlovesatrier

Hi eddie,

I took the normal licorice caps, someone did advise me about DGL tho at the time, @Judee maybe. Anywho I tried it and I think it messed with my potassium but who can say. DGL sounded great, but I read something bad somewhere, so I've opted for marshmallow root now. A few people here have taken it I think and still do. I figure if I catch this thing early I might be ok.

Also I am sure I read something about ppis bringing the virus/bacteria out so it could be dealt with. Maybe marshmallow root does that too.