• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Declining neutrophils

Learner1

Well if it's ebv then josh's protocol doesn't work at all, as it is meant to target ebv and hhv-6. Personally I think it works because the symptoms of those two illnesses disappear on this protocol and that was before I added in the extra things like more magnesium etc.
I had an HHV6 reactivation while on that protocol, which has been quelled with both valgancyclovir and famciclovir. Ensuring ones immune system is functioning and treating with antivirals can be effective.

Additionally, testing is useful improving to the doctor that the problem exists so that an antiviral can be prescribed, However there is unneeded controversy around interpretation of antibody tests where most doctors do not interpret the tests properly in the immunocompromised, and rarely order PCR tests which can find the DNA of the active virus when it's in the bloodstream. The recent OMF sponsored conference at Stanford found that full activation does not necessarily need to take place for these viruses to be causing problems.

No UK doctor is going to prescribe anti virals though, they will never give them out here, even if you request them. There's only one doctor who will but he's in London and costs a small fortune.
It seems odd. I am wondering if you can doctors will set a broken leg or treat a cancer? Do they do that? Take a problem that needs treating and treat it?

One would assume that these people went to medical school and learned about all sorts of medical topics and have agreed to the Hippocratic oath to treat patients.

Perhaps, with the new NICE guidelines, They will disabuse themselves of the fantasy of ME/CFS as a psychiatric illness, and buckle down and find treatable problems in their patients. From what I have read from the NICE committee, They seem to be recognizing that this is indeed a medical illness and science shows that people are really sick.

There are thousands of research articles which detail the abnormalities found in ME/CFS including linking it to these viruses. I think there's a new era in the UK, and perhaps patients can collect three or four of the most applicable studies, and take them to their doctors, or their local medical committees and advocate for appropriate testing and treatment, just like those patients with broken legs and cancer.

In regard to expensive, I suggest you move to the United States where you can pay US $2,000 or more per month for a health insurance policy, which offers you the opportunity to have a $3,000 deductible for things they think are medically accepted And before they will pay for anything. Then we can talk about expensive. And, How expensive is it to not have one's disease treated and go on being sick for years? What is the cost in lost wages, quality of life, etc. Of not having the right answers and not having treatment? There's a saying, "You get what you pay for." I realize that this is difficult, but at some point, getting treatment for problems that exist is the way to get well.

Shanti1

Administrator
Any bacterial infection can lower neutrophils as the neutrophils move out of the bloodstream and into the periphery to fight the infection but some are known to do this more than others. Viral infections can also lower neutrophils, but some viruses are more implicated. We could add HHV-6 to the list below as there is evidence it can also cause neutropenia (ref)(ref). The paper also mentions parvovirus in the text.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC1070837/
1636572717576.png

Unfortunately, no one studies the smoldering, chronic reactivations of EBV, CMV, or HHV-6 found in ME/CFS, but makes sense they could lower neutrophils like the acute version.

The other causes on the list above should also be considered. We could add copper deficiency to the nutrient deficiencies. I'm sure there are unlisted causes that science doesn't know about as well.

godlovesatrier

My oat bran theory could be correct then.

I went back through my diary last night. When I got vaccine 2 I came off oat bran, lions mane and reishi for at least 2 weeks but I think oat bran was more like 4 or 5 weeks. When I went back on the herx was pretty terrible. Anyway the day before I got my second jab I had already stopped taking it all and my neutrophil count was healthy at 3.16. So it's still possible that it was only when I restarted the immune herbs and beta glucans that things really got hammered (which my blood tests show). I've switched to Lauricidin anyway for the time being, hoping that knocks out any bacterial infections (if the netropenia is caused by that) and there's debate that it works for ebv too so it might keep that down. To be fair I don't have any ebv symptoms anymore, unless I get a vaccine, so I think that's under control.

I'll be getting another test Dec 1st to check my neutrophils without beta glucans. That should tell me whether I am right or wrong. Really hope I'm right as I don't want them to drop any further.

I react very badly to antivirals which I've tried in the past, was worse on them and worse after discontinuing them both oxymatrine and valtrex. I cannot afford valcyte, it's over £1000 a month.

godlovesatrier

Also your studying comment. I saw a doctor who studies ME patients mention viral infections and neutropenia the other day on twitter, I've tweeted him about it and got no reply - which is very irritating.

I have tweeted Prusty about it too but got nothing back.