• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dealing with disbelieving doctor

I add the doctor to my hitlist. My hitlist is a list of doctors who I have found to be negligent in their duty of care towards me.

Once I have objective evidence of what is wrong with me, I will write to these doctors individually, explaining to them how their negligence and arrogance causes harm. I will suggest that they know less than they think they know, and that they should practice with humility so as to make sure their damaging attitude does not cause further harm to people in the future. I will ask them if they entered medicine to stroke their egos or help sick people. I don’t expect a response.

I already sent a similar letter to one doctor. He had prescribed me GET. I highlighted all the problems with the PACE trial then asked him if he had any treatment for me with a good evidence basis. I never heard back from him. He is still on the list.
This (my faaaaantasyyyyy) clip from a 1991 episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS is about confronting an a****e disbeliever doctor about CFS... 1991...!

This (my faaaaantasyyyyy) clip from a 1991 episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS is about confronting an a****e disbeliever doctor about CFS... 1991...!

At this moment, I wish I could find where these doctors eat dinner, because I would do this in a heartbeat. Just fired another doctor, who, even after I told him that gluten didn’t make a * worth of difference, and that some of his exercises were causing significant rebound pain, told me I "just had to give it longer" This was my third functional medicine doctor. After running the gamut of the insurance approved "regular" doctors in the area. This one showed all sorts of success stories, and improvement for patients with lupus, or fibromyalgia, or other stuff. All I got was poorer by several thousand uninsured dollars, exhausted by the 100 mile round trips twice a week, and no better than before.

In contrast, I just started back with my beloved herbalist/acupuncturist. After assessing a few things, she said "this is beyond chronic fatigue. Send me some of those good links. I want to learn more" If it hadn’t been for the fact that I was on the table, looking like an enraged porcupine, from the needles, I would have hugged her. She wrote back two days ago, having watched UnRest, and read one of the papers I sent, to say she is now determined to get me improved by summer. I appreciate her honesty in not saying cured...I will definitely take improved!

Rufous McKinney

I just started back with my beloved herbalist/acupuncturist.

Mine is: Beloved. This is where I get true help. Other than the Low Dose Nalthraxone miracle (thanks, truly)...the ONLY Help I receive is from Chinese Traditional Herbs and this very COMPETENT practitioner that I am super lucky to have found.

Are you a red head.?? I'd like to start a red head and related: thread.

I do acupuncture for acute issues, but anything which moves muscles, blood, lymph and Qi, makes me get ill and elicits "the crash".

Rufous McKinney

This was my third functional medicine doctor.

Most recent mass invalidation was: the dental surgeon. After asking all about my detailed medical history as its "surgery"....and after being assured my every need would be cared for, my personal set of symptoms which include massive inflammation in my mouth, I am given this: "I don't Believe You. I'd have too see that".

It took me an hour, while being driven home (cannot drive far anymore), to realize I'd been completely dissed. Criminal Abuse. I'm beyond insulted. I felt so walked over.

My body refused to go back. It was not pretty.

Learner1

I've been yelled at, disbelieved, lied to, and fired by various doctors. But I persisted, and researched those who might be able to help me, writing a letter to my current primary care MD asking to be taken in as a patient when it said on the website that this doctor does not act as a primary care. (But, I needed this doctor's knowledge and ability to bridge the gap between medical disciplines and who would help me when I needed help, which has paid off.)

We can't get better without help. An acupuncturist and herbalist, though I'm familiar with the tools and their benefits, would not put a dent in the problems my doctors hsve found and treated. You are right to balk at unhelpful doctors, but with persistence and resourcefulness, it is possible to build a team if doctors who help.

Best wishes....

Sundancer

I've been yelled at, disbelieved, lied to, and fired by various doctors. But I persisted, and researched those who might be able to help me, writing a letter to my current primary care MD asking to be taken in as a patient when it said on the website that this doctor does not act as a primary care. (But, I needed this doctor's knowledge and ability to bridge the gap between medical disciplines and who would help me when I needed help, which has paid off.)

We can't get better without help. An acupuncturist and herbalist, though I'm familiar with the tools and their benefits, would not put a dent in the problems my doctors hsve found and treated. You are right to balk at unhelpful doctors, but with persistence and resourcefulness, it is possible to build a team if doctors who help.

Best wishes....

thanks, I needed to hear that, struggling with unbelieving doctors here, I'll fight on.