• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

De Meirleir Gut Paper is Out!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Dr. De Meirleir just published a paper on the gut. It concentrated not on hydrogen sulfide but on D-lactate - which was Dr. Logan's main focus in his interview. The paper suggests that bacterial overgrowth in the intestines of CFS patients results (or is associated with) increased D-lactate production which acidifies the gut causing increased permeability of the gut wall.

This allows the lactate to breach the gut wall entering the bloodstream and resulting in inflammation and increased oxidative stress and causing the symptoms of the D-lactate acidosis.

What is the remedy? short courses of antibiotics, alkalinizing agents, low carbohydrate diet and restriction of glucose.

You can find the paper here: http://www.cfids-cab.org/rc/Sheedy.pdf

Definitely check out the Logan interview in this forumas for more on this subject.

Would high lactic acid in the gut result in a more acidic blod pH, and more acid sweat? My sweat has a very distinct acetic acid scent to it, which started when I got ill. The intensity seems to roughly correlate with how bad my symptoms are.

Jerry

bertiedog

Re lactate

Dr. De Meirleir just published a paper on the gut. It concentrated not on hydrogen sulfide but on D-lactate - which was Dr. Logan's main focus in his interview. The paper suggests that bacterial overgrowth in the intestines of CFS patients results (or is associated with) increased D-lactate production which acidifies the gut causing increased permeability of the gut wall.

This allows the lactate to breach the gut wall entering the bloodstream and resulting in inflammation and increased oxidative stress and causing the symptoms of the D-lactate acidosis.

What is the remedy? short courses of antibiotics, alkalinizing agents, low carbohydrate diet and restriction of glucose.

You can find the paper here: http://www.cfids-cab.org/rc/Sheedy.pdf

Definitely check out the Logan interview in this forumas for more on this subject.

Hi Cort

Do you know if a mold like Geotrichum species could also cause a lactate problem. I was diagnosed with this in my gut last year when I did a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis? It acts like Candida. The bad bacteria were all within normal range however I have just tested positive with the new H2S test and wonder whether yeasts or mold can also give us this problem.

I know I have problems too with a high level of nickel in my blood and my immune system is also sensitive to mercury having had mercury poisoning.

Thanks for the site

I'm not a doc' (your question could use one), but be careful about linking pH between blood, sweat, and tears. I've had holistics do urine pH tests, suggest an alkaline diet, etc. Until this paper, I haven't seen much professional literature backing them up. In any search, though, you'll soon find blood pH is kept in a very tight range, nothing close to the range changes holistics suggest for urine tests, and certainly not to the variances being shown for the bacterial environments in this paper. I don't think my own sweat smells "different" than it ever did, but it does smell stronger, and pungent sweat is a frequent symptom with CFS/ME/FM. Personally, I under-sweat, which of course doesn't help heat tolerance. Annoyingly, I sweat mostly straight out of the shower, perhaps related to vasodilation issues?? 'Not totally sure.

Fogbuster

Any advancements in our understanding of the effects of d lactate in CFS and how it can be treated?