• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dante Labs are offering €199/$229 whole genome testing again up to 29th

Markus83

What is the normal price for the test? Is it much higher as in the offering?

I had a genetic test done by 23andme. Do you think the Dante test offers additional important insight?

Lisa108

I don't know if you were asking me, @Markus83, but I'll try to answer anyway, as I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this genetic testing stuff... :xeyes:

Prices:
Dante Labs were one of the first companies to offer Whole Genome Sequencing for around 1000 €. It got cheaper over time and the german amazon page offers the same test for 599,00 €. (I don't know if this is their "normal" price now and think we'd have to wait until the special offer ends on April 29th to check this.)

Difference to 23andme:
Both companies are using different testing strategies.
23andme: genotyping
Dante Labs: whole genome sequencing (WGS)

There is a third strategy called whole exome sequencing (WES).

So where do they differ? It is in the scope of what is being tested.
Whole genome sequencing is looking at the whole DNA (called coding and non-coding DNA; close to 100% ).
Whole exome sequencing is looking at the 1.5-2% of the DNA which is called coding DNA.
Genotyping is looking at a part of the exome (I found numbers ranging from 0.03% to 1% of one's DNA)

Additional insights:
Yes, I clearly hope that the much bigger scope of raw data will give me more insights than a 23andme or Ancestry test.

Personal Comment:
I want to clearly state here that it I do NOT recommend doing this test. Inform yourselves thoroughly on potential risks and ethical concerns!

Edit: changed exosome to exome...

Last edited:

Lisa108

genetic_testing.png

Moof

I think part of the decision has to be what you're going to do with the information when you've got it. For instance, I know someone who did this, and the data was sent in VCF format (which I've only seen before used for computer address cards). He's filed it away and doesn't really know what to do next, as he can't process it himself.

I'm sure there are plenty of options for getting the data converted into readable form, probably available from various online platforms, but there may be additional cost involved. So I guess, start with 'What's the question I want answered; will this answer it definitively; and if so, how much more will it cost?'

Carl

What is the normal price for the test? Is it much higher as in the offering?

I had a genetic test done by 23andme. Do you think the Dante test offers additional important insight?

I ordered mine in August last year (2018) and the full price was €399 and I got €100 discount so what it is on offer for now is a lot less.

23andme is extremely limited in it's scope. There are a load of SNP's for each gene than what 23andme output indicates. The problem is working out what is actually most relevant. There can be a hundred(s) of SNP's of one gene but which ones have the greatest impact? 23andme must of chosen their's for a reason but even those have been changed with their latest v5.

The WGS does offer far more coverage so it should be a lot more accurate. It depends upon what you want whether it will provide anything worthwhile. For the very basics 23andme does provide everything in an easy to work out way which this does not but there is far more info in the Dante Labs data. However it can take a lot of time to find the information that is wanted.

I think part of the decision has to be what you're going to do with the information when you've got it. For instance, I know someone who did this, and the data was sent in VCF format (which I've only seen before used for computer address cards). He's filed it away and doesn't really know what to do next, as he can't process it himself.

I'm sure there are plenty of options for getting the data converted into readable form, probably available from various online platforms, but there may be additional cost involved. So I guess, start with 'What's the question I want answered; will this answer it definitively; and if so, how much more will it cost?'
There are a few sites online which can process vcf files although not as many as the output from 23andme. Sequencing.com offers a free browser which allows you to search for rs numbers or genes among other things but it does constantly have a large upgrade logo on the screen. Getting the file annotated with rs numbers takes some doing. I have tried some programs which are available online but so far I have not found sufficient time to make any progress.

roller

wiggle jiggle
dante labs ships data in VCF format, which can be opened with Excel (Office), OpenOffice and others. dante provides the important reports, i think, regarding "pathogenic" things.
to have more analysis on the data or for better presentation, other upload-sites create reports as well.

The below sites can take the VCF data and build reports on it - besides health, the first offers ancestry analysis as well.

Owner Mike Cariosio cariaso@promethease.com
Promethease is located in the US and is hosted on Amazon AWS.
https://promethease.com/
Q & A link from their site (reddit)
easy, inexpensive, with good reputation.

The guy is "Joe Cohen"
https://www.selfdecode.com/

Moof

@roller and @Carl, thank you for reporting back on processing VCF files. I'll pass that on to the friend who did the Dante Labs test.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i read somewhere on sequencing.com that if there is a problem to upload dante-data to their site (for use of their apps), then one can mail to contact@dantelabs.com and ask for an upload.
before, one has to create a user on sequencing.com
dantelabs would then upload the kit-ID data to the account on sequencing.com, i understood.
(it was at the bottom of a page, but couldnt find it anymore)

Murph

:)
These offers come around often last time was rare genes day I’m going to hold off for a while see if I need it

This is a good insight. These tests aren't likely to get more expensive. It's like buying big screen TV. The technology will most likely fall in price over time. So will the ability to get useful info from it.

One reason to get it now might be to send your genes to a researcher who has an interest to help progress their work. Other than that I'm personally uncertain if there's enormous value to knowing the full genome yet.

Lisa108

Just a short update about my order:
The tracking page says the parcel is on its way now. It's been first processed in Mittenwalde (Germany). Don't know if Dante Labs have a warehouse there or a partner lab. Will check return address.

ZeroGravitas

I've just seen (via a web advert) that Dante are offering prime day today and tomorrow (15-16 July). €299 down from €849.00, supposedly, for regular WGS. Is it actually that full price normally? Is this actually a great offer? I'm very tempted.

What about the individual panel reports, has anyone found them useful? And are the discounts shown on those (€49.00 down from €99.00 EUR) limited time prices, too?

Edit: @nryanh94 may be interested (from Phair's thread).

Last edited:

Carl

I've just seen (via a web advert) that Dante are offering prime day today and tomorrow (15-16 July). €299 down from €849.00, supposedly, for regular WGS. Is it actually that full price normally? Is this actually a great offer? I'm very tempted.

What about the individual panel reports, has anyone found them useful? And are the discounts shown on those (€49.00 down from €99.00 EUR) limited time prices, too?

Edit: @nryanh94 may be interested (from Phair's thread).
It was a lot less than that a few months, less than 3, back (€199) so that is not a very good deal IMO. See the first post in this thread
Dante labs do offer deals but it does not look like they are really offering much ATM which is a bit surprising seeing as Amazon are having their Prime day(s) and Dante have in the past offered discounts on Amazon special days. I cannot even find any current/not expired Dante genetic tests on Amazon.co.uk. They never charge €849 TBH. I would say that €299 is the standard price and therefore no discount ATM.

lol the Dante home page does say that they are offering Amazon Prime discount even though it is not a discount, it is the normal price!

You could probably get it for a lower price if you can catch it. The difficulty is that they do not always show a text message on their website when offering the better deals. In the past they have used graphics to show the better deals. That means that browser extensions which monitor for changes and text for discounts do not always work. That means checking their website regularly unless someone else notices it. Maybe a google search might pick it up.

Lisa108

4 months sounds great to me, @Carl. I will keep an eye on my account. Thanks for the tip!
I don't expect my results to be ready yet, as I'm just ~2.5 months in, @roller.

Dante Labs received my test kit back on May 9th. Adding 90 days (for the 90-days-results-guarantee), the estimated date would be August 7th (if counting all days) or September 16th (counting working days only).

Carl

4 months sounds great to me, @Carl. I will keep an eye on my account. Thanks for the tip!
I don't expect my results to be ready yet, as I'm just ~2.5 months in, @roller.

Dante Labs received my test kit back on May 9th. Adding 90 days (for the 90-days-results-guarantee), the estimated date would be August 7th (if counting all days) or September 16th (counting working days only).
I would hope for a 91 day turn around. :rofl: Then you can get it for free. That guarantee was not available last August when I purchased mine.