• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail Piece by Martin Samuel

T

thefreeprisoner

WOW this article is the best thing I've read in any newspaper about ME so far.
Well done Tom for linking to it.
Normally I'm really scathing about the Mail ("the paper that supported Hitler" is my favourite comment) but this has almost made me think about them fondly.

Rachel xx

K

Katie

That's exactly what we need as a community to support Kay and voice some truth about this condition. It's such a shame one family and one girl had to pay such the ultimate price. Thank you Martin Samuel for this article.

Abraxas

It's such a shame one family and one girl had to pay such the ultimate price.

I wonder what will end up filtering through to the the publics perception of the Gilderdale case (or memory of it in future) and hope that people remember that whilst Lynn's illness started when she was a girl, that she was a fully grown 31 year old woman when she died (and therefore perfectly capable of knowing what she wanted) :worried:

K

Katie

I wonder what will end up filtering through to the the publics perception of the Gilderdale case (or memory of it in future) and hope that people remember that whilst Lynn's illness started when she was a girl, that she was a fully grown 31 year old woman when she died (and therefore perfectly capable of knowing what she wanted) :worried:

True, she looked so fragile in her pictures I forget she was a grown woman.

I don't know what will be left in the public consciousness, possibly a new public and media opinion on ME or another story on the wider debate of choosing when you die. I would like to hope that this serves to legitimise ME in the UK but I would still like this country to have a proper debate on legal voluntary euthanasia for those who wish for it. I could see Lynn being referenced in each article about ME in the future, maybe displacing the term yuppie flu as the publics reference point.

Abraxas

I would like to hope that this serves to legitimise ME in the UK but I would still like this country to have a proper debate on legal voluntary euthanasia for those who wish for it. I could see Lynn being referenced in each article about ME in the future, maybe displacing the term yuppie flu as the publics reference point.

A bit of both would be good.