• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Czech article on XMRV/CFS and the Dr. Alter study

eric_s

Hi all

Here's a czech article that sounds very interesting, i'm not really sure what to make of it, though.
The translation (Google) is not very good, but there's at least one member from the Czech Republic here, Alesh, who should be able to translate it and might also ask some questions to Science World or the author.
It might be referring to that article, published on the 24th of June http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/06/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-blame.html. If it's new, it would indicate that Dr. Alter still supports the initial findings reported.

http://scienceworld.cz/aktuality/chronickou-unavu-asi-opravdu-vyvolava-virus-5896

Chronic fatigue really raises some virus
News | August 5, 2010

Under chronic fatigue syndrome can include many things. Serious form of this disorder is not laziness, simulations or mental illness. It has long been suspected that at least some of its forms may be viruses. Scientists from the U.S. NIH (National Institutes of Health) has now re-tagged as the culprit virus XMRV -very similar to the retrovirus, which causes leukemia in mice.

This link has been proposed before, but is experiencing the criticism, not all results were inconclusive. Harvey Alter of NIH but now analyzed the blood of people suffering from fatigue syndrome and in almost all cases, there really discovered the virus, which is a valid argument.

Detection of the disease agent can of course contribute to the treatment. But above all, it quickly had something to do with the virus through blood transfusions did not disclose. Alter stated that 3-7% of blood donors in it has any viruses or XMRV similar. That does not mean that all these people suffer from chronic fatigue, risk of transmission but here it is ... And moreover XMRV may also be part of prostate cancer.

Source: New Scientist

Note: Another novelty of this field is that anti-virus XMRV could help drugs used for HIV.

Tuha

Hi,
I am not czech but I can understand very well. The article doesnt say anything really new. what is maybe interesting that they say that Alter from NIH found XMRV almost in all tested patients.
But I am not sur if this is really relevant information and from witch source they have this information.
But what is possitiv that article like this is in a czech newspaper.

eric_s

But why did they publish that now? If it's news that's more than a month old? Is that journal only published every couple of months? But also in that case they should mention some dates. And they don't say that the study is not published yet, they present the findings as fact.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Things get reposted, reblogged, retweeted all over the internet for months after they originally appear, in multiple languages, and a lot of it is done by bots, not humans. If we got excited every time a rehashed piece of information gets regurgitated somewhere on the Web... No. There is no new news here.