• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cymbalta Withdrawals While Titrating Down

If anyone has gone off Cymbalta, I am interested in knowing how you did it. I have looked at "The Road Back" and am taking a multitude of supplements to ease the withdrawal symptoms. I am taking Trazodone too, for sleep. I did not have too much trouble going from 60mg Cymbalta to 30mg but the step from 30mg to 20mg caused severe disorientation, loss of balance, headache, pressure in my head, severe dizzyness and a sinking falling feeling like I was slipping down a dark hole. I think I have decided to open the capsule and begin removing one tiny bead of "medicine" when I am ready to begin my next decrease.

Any support, tips, feedback, supplements taken to ease withdrawal symptoms or supplements/alternative healing methods to combat depression and INSOMNIA would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--Femmgrrl

alice1

I don't know about using any supplements to help with the transition but I think you're right to open the cap and wean off bit by bit.I had to do that with one of my meds and it was the only way I could do it.
Meletonin(sp?) for sleep may be helpful.

CJB

If anyone has gone off Cymbalta, I am interested in knowing how you did it. I have looked at "The Road Back" and am taking a multitude of supplements to ease the withdrawal symptoms. I am taking Trazodone too, for sleep. I did not have too much trouble going from 60mg Cymbalta to 30mg but the step from 30mg to 20mg caused severe disorientation, loss of balance, headache, pressure in my head, severe dizzyness and a sinking falling feeling like I was slipping down a dark hole. I think I have decided to open the capsule and begin removing one tiny bead of "medicine" when I am ready to begin my next decrease.

Any support, tips, feedback, supplements taken to ease withdrawal symptoms or supplements/alternative healing methods to combat depression and INSOMNIA would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--Femmgrrl

How long were you taking the Cymbalta?

I was on a short trial last year. I felt really awful taking the Cymbalta, but was told to hang in there until my brain got accustomed to it. I couldn't get out of bed for weeks. I finally seemed to be able to function at a minimal level taking it, but I got no benefits and it only took a couple of weeks to wean myself off of it. I felt so much better without it that I didn't have any trouble.

You may have to go more slowly.

There are a lot of smart people here, and hopefully you'll get some better advice.

Welcome to the forums!:victory:

Lily

*Believe*
I think I have decided to open the capsule and begin removing one tiny bead of "medicine" when I am ready to begin my next decrease.

That is what I had to do and go very slowly, it took me a couple of months to get from 30 to 0, and I have heard of many who took longer than that and really had a rough rough time. I had no problem what-so-ever going from 60mg to 30mg. I read The Road Back as well and ordered what ever it was that was like making a drink out of grass, but couldn't handle it.:eek: I made it through, by taking Chlorazepate (for anxiety) and adding some Benadryl now and then. It was not pretty.:worried: Cymbalta does come in 20mg by the way, but going from 20 to 0 is still rough for many people.

I was glad that I wasn't trying to work at the same time, it would have been impossible. Some doctors don't seem to understand what a problem this is, but if your doc does, he may be able to give you something to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Luckily I found a lot of information on the internet, as it sounds like you have as well. I was truly amazed at the number of people with their tales of trying to get off it, as well as the various side-effects while they were on it.

Good luck. I wouldn't want to have to do that again. Hang in there!!!:sofa:

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Hi Femmgrrl,

My rheumatologist keeps trying to push Cymbalta on me because it helps his fibro patients with their pain and he doesn't know what else to give me for ME/CFS. I looked into it online and read all the horror stories -- which seem to be far more common for getting off Cymbalta than for any other antidepressant. So I've decided not to take it. But if you haven't seen it already, I really recommend this site....

http://www.cymbaltawithdrawal.com/index.php?

... called 'Cymbalta Withdrawal Forums'. Tons of advice, people who've tried The Road Back, etc etc... and lots of caring people, based on the response I got to my one post there. Most of them are trying to get off it, too, and there were a number of different 'weaning off' strategies, if I remember correctly. A lot of them use the method you already mentioned (opening capsule, titrating down by 'beads') and many also said they found the withdrawal easier when they added on a small dose of Prozac or Zoloft (starting during the weaning-off). After that, it's easy (for most people) to get off the Prozac/Zoloft. You'll find scary stories there, but I figure you've seen the like already...

Good luck! :Retro smile::Retro smile:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Femmgrrl,

I weaned off cymbalta with the opening the capsule and reducing the dose by "beads" method. I did it over about 3 months and didn't have any problems. I had never taken more than 20 mg (prescribed for orthostatic intolerance) so that may have made it easier. I wasn't in a hurry to get off it and reduced the dose by extremely small amounts. Interestingly, when I started it, my doc told me to titrate up in the same manner and only take a tiny dose every 3rd day. If I tried to take more, I had weird and unpleasant side-effects. So it seems that some have problems both titrating up and down.

Good luck,
Sushi

Thank you all: Sushi, Dr. Yes, and Ioldershaw,

I really really appreciate your support, help, and suggestions. I am noticing some positives also in lowering my dose. I believe I will stay at 20mg for a few weeks to stabilize then begin to titrate using the "remove a bead" method. I am reading all over the net about others' experiences too. Thank you for your posts. I am open to more thoughts as you have them or from others too. This may be a long journey but I am committed to being prescription drug-free eventually. That third day when I had gone from 28mg to 20mg was the worst. I want to do everything I can to avoid that again. Last night I just felt full in my head, slight dizziness but not too bad. I think Cymbalta is contributing to my extreme fatigue level and I did notice a slight improvement in energy the day I dropped to 20mg. I am not working much right now so will take this opportunity to reduce slowly. I hope to be drug free by August 2010 because I need to come off Trazodone after Cymbalta. Then I will really need insomnia supplements up the wazzzoooo!

Again, thanks for all the feedback, good wishes and for listening.

--Femmgrrl

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Femmgrrl,

A P.S. I didn't throw away the "beads" I removed from the capsule--I saved them in empty capsules so that I wouldn't have to buy more of the stuff while I was trying to get off it. It is expensive stuff--even if you don't value it anymore!

Sushi

Update

:Retro redface:Thanks Alice, CJB and Sushi for the P.S. I am taking Melatonin for sleep and I think I have been on Cymbalta for 4 years. I am noticing now that about two hours after I take it I become exhausted. I take it around noon and I thought the fatigue was trouble digesting lunch. Now I think Cymbalta may be the problem. I hardly have energy to do dishes or laundry. I have to force myself to stretch and take 15-30min walks.

Thanks for the continued good wishes and feedback! It means a lot to me.

:DIt is Jan 15, 2010 and I am writing an update about my Cymbalta titration. Thanks for everybody's help. I still would love feedback. I have been lowering for exactly one month now and doing well. Just had that one day of horrid withdrawal symptoms. I started at 60 but went to 30mg in June of 09. On 12/15/09 I began taking "beads" out of the capsule. Now I have gotten to 20mg and am taking beads out. Today I will take 10 tiny beads out and see how I do. I have 5 days until I go in to work again so that should give me plenty of time to get used to the new dose. This week I have taken one more bead out per day. Today would be 5 beads out but I want to move ahead a tiny bit faster. I have also been lowering my Trazodone at bedtime from 100 mg a few years ago, now to 50mg and this past year down to 37.5 mg when i feel I can sleep with less. My goal is to drop to 25mg soon. I am also taking my Cymbalta dose one hour later in the day each day because I find it is sedating. I hope to eventually use its sedating effects to help sleep as I continue to lower the dosage of both VERY CONSERVATIVELY and continue with a whole host of supplements. This is my story.

Thanks for reading.
Femmgrrl

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Femmgrrl--

Glad to see you're making progress on the titration. Good for you!

I don't take pharmaceuticals, but I know there's people here who do. I'm sure they will be able to help you and support you as you go thru this process.

Good luck!

S

SisterKiKi

Hi...I've just joined this forum and am also titrating down Cymbalta by removing 20 granules every 4 days. So far I have annoying symptoms of constant headaches, neck pian, occasional teariness, extreme tiredness, increased depression or no desire to do anything constructive. This is so hard when one must work!! i counted the granules in a capsule to be around 480 so I think this is going to take me a while.
The reason I am getting off it is mostly due to this annoying cough i get on SSRI's & SNRI's. It sounds minor but it affects my work, sleep, family, everything. It is a ticklish cough that doesn't stop until I seem to hoick up (for want of a better term!) a small amount of thin fluid. One eye waters, the same side of my nose runs and I lose my voice for a minute or two. Has anyone experienced this? It seems to have drastically reduced since I started titrating down. My doc thinks I'm just making these horrible withdrawal symptoms up. I really need to find a more supportive one who doesn't dole out anti-depressants easily.
I would love to hear from anyone who could tell me what natural supplements to take to help the symptoms. i already take a good multivitamin & zinc.
Thanks.

B

Buttercup

I have the same symptoms!

I came across your post because I was trying to figure out what is going on with me-I sporadically have the same symptoms as you and have for 30 years (I am 45). I wish I could give you a name for it (or someone could give me a name for it), but it is very irritating and disturbing when it happens. So, I wanted you to at least know that you are not imagining this collection of symptoms. I am not on any prescription drugs, really never have had the need to be, and I always assumed this condition was the result of an allergic reaction to something, but I have never been able to link it to anything. Sorry couldn't be more help...

Buttercup

Hi, I'm new here, I'm also trying to come off Cymbalta by removing the beads 1 every 2 days, I counted the beads in a 60 mg. capsule and there are 190. I've been at it for about 10 days now and I'm up to taking 7 out every 2 days at that rate I should be finished by the end of Sept., by the way it is Sept 6 as I am writing this. My question is this has anyone's depression returned while trying to taper off and you had to go back on the Cymbalta because of this? I also take 200 mg of Lamital and 100 mg of Topamax and Klonopin as needed not real often mostly when I need it to sleep.. If anyone has had this problem I would appreciate it if you would reply.

Thanks Kayebird