• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cycling sleep medications

Glad I found this thread as have been trying to come up with some alternate options for my partner. Currently cycling between two different antihistamines (promethazine and diphenhydramine) and melatonin, but have been looking into other options. We got some pregabalin prescribed but we're too worried about the side effects while weaning onto it so haven't tried it yet. Also have noticed something strange where on the days they manage to fall asleep naturally, without taking anything, the side effects of LDN are massively worse the next day? Don't know if the antihistamines are preventing some side effects but haven't found any research around that. I tried to get them medical cannabis prescribed from Dickson's Pharmacy but they will only prescribe THC products for cancer or MS patients, so trying Curaleaf (formerly Sapphire) clinic instead, I think an indica type strain could definitely help with sleep. Taking their magnesium before sleep seems better too, but most of the other supplements I've found are more for daytime energy than sleep. Don't think any herbal treatments will be strong enough. Have tried Zopiclone in the past but the GP would only prescribe like 8 tablets at a time. Can understand their reluctance but will see if I can get them to give my partner some more to only take sporadically on nights off of the antihistamines.

some people who have delayed sleep phases (i. e. they can sleep, it’s just that they fall asleep too late) find melatonin very helpful. I don’t, because my problem is the lack of sleep. the herbal stuff only helps people with mild insomnia or people whose problem is behavioral.

do you know that you can split the Zopiclone tablets? I find that they’re still effective at half the standard dose.

what side effects do they normally experience?
Bad headaches/brainfog, sinus issues like blocked nose, sinus pain, throat pain, plus some mood swings like irritability and depression. My working theory is the LDN is causing side effects affecting their sinuses or histamine levels that are exacerbating issues they may have already have had like MCAS, which the antihistamines are treating? Either way, I want to get them some medication to take with the same effects as the antihistamines, as they really rely on the antihists to sleep but still need days off them to prevent tolerance. Been looking into ketotifen or montelukast, which should also help their asthma that flares up too.