• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crucial Window to Beat Back HIV in WSJ, anyone have access?

*GG*

Comments (1)
more in Health
BY RON WINSLOW

VIENNADespite its notorious reputation, the virus that causes AIDS doesn't infect the human body easily, and HIV's difficulties point to potential prevention and treatment methods, according to a growing body of research.

The science, some of which was presented this week at the XVIII International AIDS Conference here, also supports an emerging argument for starting AIDS treatment as soon as possible after infection, to thwart the virus's devastating effect on the body's immune system.

Many people now go months or years with HIV before starting antiretroviral drugs. The medical community had been wary of starting people on drugs too soon ...

*GG*

I believe that in the article that they say that you need other viruses in your system, to help HIV get a foothold? Please let me know if I am wrong?!

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I heard this issue mentioned on the radio on Science Friday. Dr. Fauci was being interviewed and I remember him mentioning a crucial window of vulnerability during the initial phase of HIV infection.

I'm not sure whether this will answer your question (don't have energy now to read the whole transcript), since it's not a copy of the WSJ article, but I'm posting a link to the Science Friday transcript here just in case it might be helpful:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128721744

muffin

Out on a limb here but I would believe that if we CFIDS/ME people got the rest and extreme medical care as soon as we were sick for more than a month, many of us would have a better shot at getting better - or not being as sick or disabled.

When I was first sick I went to two doctors. I thought they were both quacks at the time. One wanted to give me Chemo therapy - why, I don't know. The other doctor wanted to start me on the HIV meds and at that time it seemed to be dangerous and without medical merit. NOW I do wish I had tried those anti-virals. The Valtrex seems to be helping me a bit which does make me wonder if I had started on the anti-virals as soon as it was very apparent just how sick i was, if they would have killed off some of the viruses in my body. So, I am one of those people who would swallow the HIV anti-virals if I could get them. Why not? What more do I have to lose at this point.

Was the gist of your question on HIV and hitting the anti-virals for HIV also directed at XMRV and the other viruses in our sick bodies?

Daffodil

muffin.. wow! may i ask which doctors you went to? how could they have known!? when did you become ill?

the people who will have the best chance of ridding their bodies of HIV, once they know how, will be those who get treated immediately i am sure. they say HIV lies dormant mainly in the resting CD4 cells and cells of the monocyte/macrophage lineage. sadly, i think XMRV infects many more types of cells than that.

sue
xoxo