• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crash after taking ALA

overtheedge

@Ronagrenade2020 ala made me feel better but messed up my health and, if i remember correctly, made my insomnia worse as well. I think the reason has to do with the powder in the capsules being irritating to the gut lining. seems like any pills i empty into my mouth which then cause burning within the mouth end up causing worsening of symptoms and the ala i tested this way did burn my mouth
I'm testing other things right now but in the future I'm considering testing the ph of the powder, most of the other sups that irritated my mouth turned out to be acidic when i emptied them into a glass of water and tested with pH strips before and after would lower the pH on the after test, I'm considering going back to the ala but buffering it with baking soda or some other base if the acidity is the cause of the burning

Note i have more gut issues on lab tests than are usual of most CFS patients so perhaps this sort of thing wont apply to many others here, I can't say, not that ALA caused any gut symptoms though very few of the things ive tested that i suspect of irritating the gut ever have caused any sort of GI distress. It's strange because I've eaten n drank some rather acidic stuff n haven't had issues but with pills its different for some reason, maybe it has to do with all of it being released at one point in the digestive system or something?

Sophiedw

ALA gives me bad liver /gall bladder pain. Any ideas for anyone what it could be interacting with. In my case is often a supplement nutrient interaction rather than immune... so something I’m low in in the liver that ALA depletes. Any ideas always gratefully received by those who know more than I