• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coxsackie B Results

Springbok1988

Hello everyone,

I have a question about my results. Of course, I gave my doctor’s lab instructions for Quest to send the samples to ARUP but they were processed by Quest. However, I got a positive result for Coxsackievirus B, Type 6. My titer came out to be 1:8, which is the lowest result that is considered positive.
Since the ARUP test is more sensitive, it would make sense that the titer number would be higher compared to the same sample being processed by Quest. But I’m not sure whether my result would be considered positive for a low-level, chronic infection.
I’m pretty sure that I got the virus in January. I came back from South Africa and got very sick. I had a bad GI illness with a 104° F fever. I was sick for two weeks and the tests the doctors did all came up negative. They tested for several viruses, parasites, and bacteria. Looking at all of the symptoms of Coxsackievirus B, it sounds exactly like what I had. But the antibodies for Cocksackie only last for a few months after infection, normally, and I haven’t had an illness like that since January. So I don’t think it would be a leap to think that the infection has been hiding out since then.
What do you all think? Thank you in advance!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Even though the test was negative, I would see if your doctor would be willing to work with you and still treat you as though it was positive.

My Lyme test came back technically negative but one band (p41) was positive and I am treating for that after I remembered also having several odd Lyme-like symptoms that happened when I was 10 that points to my having been bitten by something.

On top of that, I joined a Lyme board and several have told me that most chronic Lyme patients there only have p41 and that LLMDs usually treat that as confirmation of infection as well.

After 40+ years of having this disease, I'm seeing a tiny light at the end of the tunnel. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much or get too excited but still I am.

I also believe that infections can hide. Hope you get some answers and your own light at the end of the tunnel too. :redface:

Edit: I'm sorry. I just realized you said it came back positive. I read that last night but must have had brain fog without realizing it.

Last edited:

Hip

I have a question about my results. Of course, I gave my doctor’s lab instructions for Quest to send the samples to ARUP but they were processed by Quest. However, I got a positive result for Coxsackievirus B, Type 6. My titer came out to be 1:8, which is the lowest result that is considered positive.

This happens to so many ME/CFS patients, it's annoying (see this thread). But Quest should offer a second test at ARUP without charging you, as it was their mistake.

Quest have a ARUP Lab Miscellaneous Order code of 39651 (this requires Quest to write on the order the ARUP codes for the ARUP tests you want, which are coxsackievirus B=0060055 and echovirus=0060053). That might be the best code to use.

Since the ARUP test is more sensitive, it would make sense that the titer number would be higher compared to the same sample being processed by Quest. But I’m not sure whether my result would be considered positive for a low-level, chronic infection.

It's hard to interpret the results of the Quest test, because this test is not only insensitive, but has not been calibrated by Dr John Chia. For the ARUP test, Dr Chia calibrated this using hundreds of ME/CFS patients and healthy controls, and determined that titers of 1:160 to 1:320 and above are evidence of active coxsackievirus B infection.

You might like to see the Quest vs ARUP results of sometexan84. There was little relation between the two tests.

I’m pretty sure that I got the virus in January. I came back from South Africa and got very sick. I had a bad GI illness with a 104° F fever. I was sick for two weeks

Gastrointestinal upsets with prolonged fevers (102 to 104ºF) lasting up to 3 weeks are typical of acute enterovirus infections — see the MEpedia enterovirus article.

Last edited:

Hip

But the antibodies for Cocksackie only last for a few months after infection, normally, and I haven’t had an illness like that since January.

Antibodies to coxsackievirus B can be detected even decades after the initial acute infection in ME/CFS patients, if a sensitive neutralization test like the ARUP Lab test is used.

In my case, I was infected with coxsackievirus B4 in 2003, starting with herpangina sore throat (a classic symptom of enterovirus), so I already suspected enterovirus, even before testing. I was not able to get tested until 2016 (once I found a lab in Europe which offered a neutralization test for CVB). Then I discovered I had sky high antibody titers of 1:1024 to CVB4. And that was 13 years after the acute infection.

Last edited:

sometexan84

OMG, wow Quest has a major problem. This happened to me too...

Like Hip said, check out my post here, the Quest labs for enterovirus are 100% useless.

And I'd double check the charges. Quest processing should be like $100 something. ARUP is $450. I'd try and get a refund for the Quest processing, then try it again for ARUP. In the end, I had to call my bank to get my money back from the Quest enterovirus labs.

sometexan84

@Judee Wow, that is very interesting. I'm positive for p41 Lyme, and ONLY p41.

I disregarded it as the lab results and doctor said just being positive for that one band was insignificant.

Do you have any more info on this?

Judee

@Judee Wow, that is very interesting. I'm positive for p41 Lyme, and ONLY p41.

Just that several people told me on a FB group that p41 is still considered by many LLMD (Lyme Literate MD)s as pointing to chronic Lyme infection. I have been treating as though something is there and the treatment is getting me to the point where some times I feel better. I will say though that I still regress a lot but this pathway seems plausible to me.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to believe what mainstream doctors are saying about it vs those who are not mainstream (which is most LLMDs). I would rather work with a mainstream doctor but they dismiss my disease too much so I am listening to what I am reading and seeing on YT from LLMDs for now anyway. Ultimately, I hope my body will let me know.

Last edited:

sometexan84

Actually, I think that is the right test. What they're saying is if your ratio is above 2.0 then you might have Lyme

sometexan84

Found this showing some with Lyme after just a positive IgG 41 - https://www.medsci.org/v10p0915.htm

Patient with 41, then another test later showed IgM 23
1607368698555.png

1607368792426.png

Judee

Yeah, but it is above 2.0 so maybe it does count. ??

And is that your results from the test you posted in that link?

Edit: Are you in Texas as your user name seems to suggest? There is a good Lyme group there, I believe. Here is their site:https://www.texaslymealliance.net/
Plus, Kristina Bauer has a lot of videos on YT and also a FB group you can join. They might have a little more insight.

Last edited:

Judee

But the antibodies for Cocksackie only last for a few months after infection, normally, and I haven’t had an illness like that since January. So I don’t think it would be a leap to think that the infection has been hiding out since then.
What do you all think? Thank you in advance!

I think we sidetracked your thread and I'm sorry. I think you should try to get or start some type of treatment for it.

This thread lists some medications as well as herbal type supplements you might try to target the Coxsackie B with. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...irus-30-treatment-options.81347/#post-2298379