• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid, MCS and less outdoor air pollution

Strawberry

Has anyone noticed feeling better due to less traffic pollution outside? I'm curious...

I truly expected to feel better like I do in Hawaii with cleaner air. While I DO feel more mental energy, my physical energy has had zero blip as of yet. But tomorrow will be my first "work from home" day, so maybe that will change. We do use plenty of cleaner/sanitizer here at work that makes me sick. But even going outside on the weekends recently doesn't seem to help.

My question stems from the conversations I have had here recently about van camping in clean air to improve health. I thought it would work since 24 hours in Hawaii and I feel slightly better. One week and I'm close to human. But now I'm doubting myself.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Chemicals can do a number on your immunity. I used to work in an office that was suppose to be perfume-free but they never enforced it and it was kinda funny because even the people that didn't think they had any health issues like MCS would start to clear their throats a lot when someone came in wearing heavy perfume.

I also am sensitive to petroleum products but haven't really noticed any positive difference where I am in the city unfortunately.

All that said, don't doubt yourself. Such a big change in Hawaii must mean you're on to something in this idea that pollution is affecting you.

Strawberry

start to clear their throats a lot when someone came in wearing heavy perfume

I get that too! This lady that sits across from me (probably about 15 feet away) loves her natural lavender scented hand lotion. She also throat clears every time she puts it on, so she is refusing to acknowledge that it bothers her too. :rolleyes:

I've known for 3 decades that I was sensitive to petroleum products, and my allergy doctor told me about "environmental sensitivities" at least 15 years ago, but of course there is no treatments...

When I say I doubt myself, I think it was more directed to van camping would help me locally. I'm trying not to become one of the van desert campers!

Seadragon

My question stems from the conversations I have had here recently about van camping in clean air to improve health. I thought it would work since 24 hours in Hawaii and I feel slightly better. One week and I'm close to human. But now I'm doubting myself.

I wonder if we need a certain type of climate as well as clean air?

I used to feel the same on vacation - islands in the Mediterranean Sea - as you do in Hawaii but I do not have the same experience anywhere else I have been abroad in the past nor here in the UK (although still a noticeable improvement by the coast, it is nowhere near how much better I feel in the Med).

The Mediterranean climate is much drier and warmer, it doesn't rain too much and the environment is very unpolluted also with a relatively sparse population and no heavy industry or big cities.

Strawberry

although still a noticeable improvement by the coast, it is nowhere near how much better I feel in the Med).

This is interesting. I improve on the Pacific coast but have never been there longer than 3 days so I guess I really can’t compare to Hawaii.

I really want to figure out where to live and feel human again but when minimal air pollution doesn’t make me but a smidge better..... ugh

And who can afford Hawaii or The Mediterranean on minimal income?!!!

frozenborderline

Has anyone noticed feeling better due to less traffic pollution outside? I'm curious...

I truly expected to feel better like I do in Hawaii with cleaner air. While I DO feel more mental energy, my physical energy has had zero blip as of yet. But tomorrow will be my first "work from home" day, so maybe that will change. We do use plenty of cleaner/sanitizer here at work that makes me sick. But even going outside on the weekends recently doesn't seem to help.

While I think pollution in the form of nanoparticles can interact with mold to make it worse , I wouldn't expect serious biotoxins or environmental dysbiosis to just magically clear up overnight.

I would expect it takes a ton of time for the biome to heal. A year of quarantine might be enough for previously bad areas to start repairing themselves well enough to feel good

Some people have anecdotally reported that places hit by fire retardant take around a year to start feeling better

I don't know where you live but when I was in vermont, the outdoor air was bad as well as my indoor air especially in the spring and summer , and so I sort of wondered If I would never feel better anywhere. Thankfully that wasn't the case. But there are plenty of areas with bad outdoor air and they wont get better overnight Just bc of a mild reduction in pollution (this is probably not even at pre 1980s level of pollution yet )

Strawberry

While I think pollution in the form of nanoparticles can interact with mold to make it worse , I wouldn't expect serious biotoxins or environmental dysbiosis to just magically clear up overnight.

How many times have I said mold wasn't my issue? I think you just hit the nail on the head. Mold MUST be part of the issue, otherwise I would have responded to the minimal air pollution. Yipes.... I guess I really am in the same "club" as you. :D Now it makes total sense why I haven't improved.

frozenborderline

How many times have I said mold wasn't my issue? I think you just hit the nail on the head. Mold MUST be part of the issue, otherwise I would have responded to the minimal air pollution. Yipes.... I guess I really am in the same "club" as you. :D Now it makes total sense why I haven't improved.
You might want to read this article on outdoor toxins https://paradigmchange.me/wp/outdoor-toxins/

I think that outdoor toxins are super relevant and underlooked , whereas building mold is fairly well known as a phenomenon