• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid arm

vision blue

Cleveland clinic says this about Covid ARm. they also describe it as a delayed hyperaensitivity reaction

What we essentially think is going on with COVID arm is that your immune cells are reacting to muscle cells that have taken up the messenger RNA vaccine. The immune cells can be a little over-exuberant because they view the SARS-CoV2 spike protein produced by the vaccine as an infection that they need to fight off.”

What i wonder tho is for those who get AI at drop of a hat, why wont immune system overreact and go after all muscle cells?
And since As far as i know it is only happening with the mRNA vaccines, seems worrisome that it was the fact ones own cells produced the spike protein, might that not set the stage to further attack ones own cells in tbose with overreactive immune systens?

the fact it is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction is troubling part. I foind those are the type that tend to hang around And For me are what got ne into the land of the sick In the first place.
Also when Cleveland clinic says reacting to vaccine produced spike protein, thats not strictky accurate. It downplays that the vaccine got your own body to create the spike protein. Im not sure the immune system ‘cares” about the source, but either way i dont like them delayed hypersensitivity reactions. They are not recognized as allergies, they are all but ignored by the medical world, they remain poorly understood, aNd as far as i know antihistamines are ineffective because its not a reaction that is mediated by histamine.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Cleveland clinic says this about Covid Arm. they also describe it as a delayed hypersensitivity reaction

I finally found your thread about COVID arm @vision blue and thank you for alerting me to it!

What i wonder tho is for those who get AI at drop of a hat, why wont immune system overreact and go after all muscle cells?

When you said "AI", I am assuming that you meant "autoimmunity"? If so, then I am definitely in that category now. When I got diagnosed w/Hashimoto's in 2013, my doctor said that it was the "gateway" to other autoimmune diseases and that most likely in the next few years I would have multiple autoimmune diagnoses and nothing could have been more accurate (in my case).

the fact it is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction is troubling part. I foind those are the type that tend to hang around And For me are what got me into the land of the sick In the first place.

So it was a delayed hypersensitivity reaction that led to your initial illness? Do you have a thread somewhere that describes your illness? I would love to read it.

Also, I just Googled "hypersensitivity reactions" and it seems that there are four types:
Type I: reaction mediated by IgE antibodies
Type II: cytotoxic reaction mediated by IgG or IgM antibodies
Type III: reaction mediated by immune complexes
Type IV: delayed reaction mediated by cellular response

This is the article that I found the info from (and I have not read the entire thing yet):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562228/

** Do you know which type of hypersensitivity reaction "COVID arm" from the vaccine would fit into?

Im not sure the immune system ‘cares” about the source, but either way i dont like them delayed hypersensitivity reactions. They are not recognized as allergies, they are all but ignored by the medical world, they remain poorly understood, aNd as far as i know antihistamines are ineffective because its not a reaction that is mediated by histamine

I would think if it was a "type 1" reaction, it might respond to antihistamines b/c it is IgE mediated. But the other three types would not (from my limited understanding).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have wondered if the recommendation to immediately start exercising the injected arm would help prevent this. I started right after the injection and continued about every 15 minutes for the rest of the day—this is supposed to increase circulation and spread the injected substance widely. By exercise, it could be just pumping the arm—I used a light free weight and though I had only mild arm pain I can’t say for sure that exercise helped.

vision blue

Yes, cleveland clinic believes "Covid arm" is Type IV hypersensitivity. Other sites continue to just not know, but that may well be becasue the average MD doens't know much if anything about Type Iv hypersensitivity. Yes, AI stands for autoimmune and Tiype IV hypersensitivity reactions are often thought connected to at least some autoimmune diseases.

I should add here becasue I only put this in another thread people might see, some more details on the type iv reaction.

namely, it's been said that sometimes type iv reaction is going to occurr because of continued antigen stimulation. And the reason it is continuous is because the body cannot fully get rid of it on its own. so it recognizes it but then can't fully destroy it. I'm sure this is not the only reason, but is sometimes implicated. In covid arm, So perhaps can't get rid of invaders in arm fully? Can't remember now what i read and/or reasoned.

Gingergrrl

Yes, cleveland clinic believes "Covid arm" is Type IV hypersensitivity. Other sites continue to just not know, but that may well be becasue the average MD doens't know much if anything about Type Iv hypersensitivity. Yes, AI stands for autoimmune and Tiype IV hypersensitivity reactions are often thought connected to at least some autoimmune diseases.

Thank you for this info @vision blue and I am going to look at the Cleveland Clinic site (and other sites) re: hypersensitivity reactions & the COVID vaccine and need to learn more about this.

Last edited: