• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid-19 Risk And Severity May Be Increased By Presence Of DNA Inherited From Neanderthals

YippeeKi YOW !!

DNA Inherited From Neanderthals May Increase Risk of Covid-19
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html
The stretch of six genes seems to increase the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus.

And of course, because there's always a contradictory opinion, here's one you won;t have to search out on google:

The Neanderthal DNA you carry may have surprisingly little impact on your looks, moods
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...e-surprisingly-little-impact-your-looks-moods
If you think you got your freckles, red hair, or even narcolepsy from a Neanderthal in your family tree, think again. People around the world do carry traces of Neanderthals in their genomes. But a study of tens of thousands of Icelanders finds their Neanderthal legacy had little or no impact on most of their physical traits or disease risk.

Last edited:

andyguitar

YippeeKi YOW !!

So would this explain why they died out? All got sick and popped their clogs due to a corona virus?
I thought of that, too .... not specifically COVID, but perhaps some other virus that was inimical to their DNA, particularly in view of the kind of fuzzy explanations for the disappearance of the Neanderthalers, usually attributed to tribal warfare and intermarriage ....

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I thought of that, too .... not specifically COVID, but perhaps some other virus that was inimical to their DNA, particularly in view of the kind of fuzzy explanations for the disappearance of the Neanderthalers, usually attributed to tribal warfare and intermarriage ....
In the article it said that some of those Neanderthal genes would have helped to fight viruses but now, 60,000 years later, that same sequence could possibly create an immune overreaction or a cytokines storm. For instance, they said that Bangladeshis are more likely to carry two copies of that gene sequence and that they have been dying at a much higher rate in the UK. Of course, as they say this is all speculation right now. But I would guess they will be doing a lot more gene sequencing to try to figure this out.

YippeeKi YOW !!

For instance, they said that Bangladeshis are more likely to carry two copies of that gene sequence and that they have been dying at a much higher rate in the UK. Of course, as they say this is all speculation right now.
Yes, I found that interesting, too. Also the input re: Australian aboriginals .....
But I would guess they will be doing a lot more gene sequencing to try to figure this out.
One can hope, but given the limits of both the interest and the imagination expended by all but a handful of researchers on ME, I wont be waiting standing up ....