• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid 19 and cod liver oil- preliminary data

Hufsamor

https://sciencenorway.no/covid19-vi...s-have-lower-risk-of-getting-covid-19/1769121

Preliminary data from our ongoing COVID-19 study, Koronastudien, suggest that cod liver oil users may have a reduced risk of COVID-19 and a lower risk of severe disease outcomes if they are infected”, says Arne Søraas

However, the researchers cannot know from the Norwegian COVID-19 study (Koronastudien) whether the difference lies in cod liver oil, or other aspects of the lives of cod liver oil users.

Cod liver oil is rich in vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. Cod liver oil is among the few natural sources of vitamin D in the nordic diet.

My old mother has been a part of this study, and was now asked wether she wanted to be a part of the ongoing study, and take either cod liver oil or placebo.
However, because she's already taking vitamin D on a daily basics, she was excluded from this cod liver part of the study.

Even tho it's preliminary data, I thought cod liver oil could be a cheap and rather safe addition to ones daily supplements (is it cheap where you live?)

I can't take vitamin d supplements, they make me sick. But I take half of daily dose with cod liver oil with no problems.

Wolfcub

I heard (some months ago) that vitamin D was found to be to some extent protective against Covid-19. Or for those who caught it anyway, the outcomes were more favourable, or the disease was not as severe.

I always used to take cod liver oil daily, but over the years, never did that any more. But for the last 2 years have been taking a vitamin D3 400iu in the winter months. This year, I didn't stop taking it as I usually do in Spring. I basically thought I'd finish the pot I had bought. I got Covid in April (so it didn't protect me against catching it) but I think I had a mild form, as it wasn't something I couldn't handle alone at home.

godlovesatrier

Hi wolfcub. Yes I read the same. Vitamin D is supposed to help. But whether that's just for deficient people I don't know.

I was taking vitamin D until recently when I ran out. You've just reminded me to get some more. Although I am taking a life extension multi vitamin on and off which is brilliant. It's weird my body wasn't responding to anything most of the year. Now I take something and I respond very quickly. I don't get it.

andyguitar

I heard (some months ago) that vitamin D was found to be to some extent protective against Covid-19. Or for those who caught it anyway, the outcomes were more favourable, or the disease was not as severe.
Hi wolfcub. Yes I read the same. Vitamin D is supposed to help. But whether that's just for deficient people I don't know.
It's been in the news on and off for months now. Lack of vit D has been suggested as a reason why those of south asian origin are more likley to get covid and have a worse outcome. They need more vit D.

ljimbo423

Cod liver oil is rich in vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. Cod liver oil is among the few natural sources of vitamin D in the nordic diet.

I think I've read that both vitamin D and Omega 3's have immune modulating properties.

Since the biggest problem with covid 19 is a cytokine storm from the immune system over-reacting to the virus. This might be part of why cod liver oil is helpful.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Hufsamor - cod liver oil is also high in vitamin A and vitamin A is also necessary for proper immune functioning. Many years ago my then-ME/CFS doctor told me to take 10,000 IU of vitamin A (from fish oil, not beta carotene) a day, and 20,000 IU when I was sick. So this may be part of its benefit as well.

Hufsamor

You might all be right, even though I hadn't thought about the vitamin A.
My first thoughts went to vit d as well.

But because my mother have been a part of this covid 19 project, I know they mapped all the supplements very carefully.
And a lot of people in Norway would take vitamin d supplements.
(And I believe the people behind the project suspect vitamin d to be a big part of the beneficial effects, as you can't participate in the ongoing cod liver oil project if you are taking vitamin d supplements. Nothing mentioned of vitamin a or blood thinner medication.)

But for now, only the cod liver oil is sticking out as beneficial, not the people taking vitamin d supplements ( and they are many) or vit a supplements (not that common, I think)

So I guess you are all right, if this cod oil turns out to be as beneficial as they believe at the moment. It might be the combination.

Blood thinning as mentioned by @godlovesatrier (as we know blood clotting is a big problem in covid 19 patients) , the vitamin D that most likely protected @Wolfcub (and lack of vitamin d in dark skinned people in Nordic lands is mentioned also in the article, I think, or in another interview in connection to this study, as @andyguitar pointed out. ), the omega 3 pointed out by @ljimbo423 and finally but not last, even vitamin A, as described by @Mary

A nice bouquet of beneficiaries, wrapped up in a bad tasting but well doing liquid