• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Countering Nitric Oxide

Crux

Hi there,

So hops and doxycyline lower nitric oxide, but milk thistle increases it.

They all chelate iron, which I consider to be very good.

Melatonin lowers nitric oxide, but vitamin D increases it.

There's a theory that iron deposits in the brain are causal in neurodegerative diseases, including Parkinson's.
Iron dishomeostasis can interfere with other metals metabolism, such as manganese.

Much of the excess iron has been found in the basal ganglia. Excess iron has been found in the substantia nigra of parkinson's.

Iron dyshomeostasis can damage nerves and increase NO.

I believe that iron excess in the brain may be causing many of the neurological symptoms we're experiencing.
Some are MS- like , and others are even dementia -like.

I've been having to stop extra B12, which is a powerful NOS inhibitor. My bp went rogue high. I've lowered infection, and now I'm working on the liver. It seems I can tolerate more NO.

The elevated NO is a symptom of some pathological process from : infection, iron dyshomeostasis, and liver dysfunction, as far as I can see. I'm sure there's more.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
So hops and doxycyline lower nitric oxide, but milk thistle increases it.
Melatonin lowers nitric oxide, but vitamin D increases it.
My information is that all of them lower it, but in my experience
vitD should be less effective than melatonine
(bc in autumn I feel better than in spring, though other people don´t, maybe they are low on NO?!?),
milk thistle is pretty effective, but not as much as doxycycline
(but it´s not important anyway bc the body learns qickly to remove it).
Iron dishomeostasis can interfere with other metals metabolism, such as manganese.
I know that both are very probably carried by the same blood carrier. Already worth to know.
I've been having to stop extra B12, which is a powerful NOS inhibitor. My bp went rogue high. I've lowered infection, and now I'm working on the liver. It seems I can tolerate more NO.
It was Martin Pall´s guess, wasn´t it? My experience would confirm this. But I liked to stop injections bc I felt the stiches for months, and the effect was sadly not very huge. If I only felt stiches, it would be nice. Recently I had some short effects from B12 in water (not the injection stuff). I didn´t notice any effect from sublingual B12.
The elevated NO is a symptom of some pathological process from : infection, iron dyshomeostasis, and liver dysfunction, as far as I can see. I'm sure there's more.
Can´t disagree.
There is also an effect in/on biofilms interestingly, NO can serve for them (in some sense), though it also helps to destroy pathogenes. A very complex molecule in its effects. I am focusing on effects on the nerves, and later I will see further.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
It might be one clue to complex changes in microbiome. Who knows.

I just could refind: Rao et al 2015: "Nitric Oxide Mediates Biofilm Formation and Symbiosis in ..."
It goes along histidine kinase.
Bacteria have an H-NOX protein, I have forgotten the rest.
It didn't seem to destroy my pathogens, I was a mess with infection.
(Beautifully said) hope you are doing better now and in the future. Speaking for myself I think that infections during all the long chronic phase haven´t been an issue.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@Crux I had a second look at the article Rao et al 2015, there isn´t much established, and it will probably become a complicate story, I guess.
That much NO would make biofilms
stronger (bc of downstream signaling) than
weaker (bc of NO toxiticy) seems to me very unlikely, rather impossible (the toxiticy is well established).

I edited the two posts above for being clear and (hopefully) right.