• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could too much folate in your diet cause methyl trapping?

Busson

I rarely hear about about excess dietary folate. If someone with very poor B12 function ate a heck of a lot of folate rich foods then where would the unwanted dietary folate go?

I am worried that excess dietary folate could contribute to methyl trapping. Could this happen?

I take B12 and also 1,000 mcg methylfolate (Metafolin). If I take 2,000 mcg folate I go into folate deficiency and it makes me extremely ill until I cut back. I would like to eat more folate-rich foods if they don't cause an excess of folate to build up.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
You could maybe ask @DrHouse_Italy. He just joined the forum and was giving someone tips on handling methylation protocol.

I also saw a youtube video a while back that said if we experience SIBO we are also making too much folate in our gut bacteria but I don't remember who the doctor was so can't post that here. Sorry.

Another thought from that same youtube doctor was that you have to resolve SIBO before starting supplementation. He said the bad bacteria also methylate so it's like fertilizing them when you take the supplements.