• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could this actually be happening? Prof Hughes in The Science Bit on the new NICE Proposals

Countrygirl

https://thesciencebit.net/2020/11/1...14swYGBnRjvYw3pz5pCrWs6ufTRHWSMHfIdCRT9j6nJ-U

ME, ME/CFS

Could this actually be happening?
Written by Brian Hughes on November 10, 2020

Mark this day in your calendar. We could be observing the beginning of the end of a decades-long medical scandal.
In the UK, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) have published new draft guidelines for the management of “myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy)/chronic fatigue syndrome”.
These are very significant and mark a potential — and heretofore unforeseeable – triumph for empirical science over clinical folklore.
I have written extensively on this blog about the destructive impact of eminence-based medicine on the lives of people with ME. The issue has a very long history and has many twists and turns.

In short, while it is increasingly beyond doubt that ME is an inherently physiological illness, in some countries — especially Britain — the field of ME care has long been in the sway of psychological and behavioural therapists. These folks, some of whom are high-profile academics of considerable eminence, have simply insisted that ME is propelled by psychological factors, if not caused by them. Such victim-blaming is clearly rooted in historical misogyny, and flies in the face both of empirical evidence and of widely shared scientific consensus.

As a consequence, patients in the UK have long been told that they are effectively causing their own symptoms through faulty reasoning and counterproductive behaviour. I have described this as nothing less than twenty years of institutional gaslighting.
Patients today continue to face widespread physician scepticism, frequent accusations of malingering, and defamatory ridicule in the media.