• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could Copaxone Help Us?

Yuno

MS Medicine Copaxone May Have Benefits in Parkinson’s Disease, Mouse Study Finds​
Treatment with Copaxone after the onset of the disease reversed gait (walking) and grip impairments in MPTP-treated mice.​
Investigators believe this was due to the remarkable recovery in the levels of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), one of the enzymes that is responsible for the production of dopamine in the striatum (a region of the brain involved in motor coordination) following treatment with Copaxone.​
In addition, researchers found the number of TH-positive neurons in the substantia nigra increased slightly, albeit non-significantly, in animals treated with Copaxone, compared to those treated with a vehicle solution (control) after MPTP induction.​
This was also associated with an increase in the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) — a protein whose main function is to protect dopaminergic neurons — and a decrease in the levels of IBA1, a marker of glial cells’ over-activation caused by brain inflammation. Glial cells, also known as microglia, are nerve cells that support and protect neurons.​
Very interesting read!

wigglethemouse

Has it been announced already or did I miss it?
I'm guessing it was announcement in July of recruitment for a very small metablomics study and a trial of Suranim in ME/CFS and Lyme. s4me has the recruitment details here
https://www.s4me.info/threads/naviaux-lab-metabolomics-study-south-california-usa.10436/

Or it could have been his Gulf War illness study paper also in July (s4me again, as I can't find a thread here)
https://www.s4me.info/threads/metabolic-features-of-gulf-war-illness-2019-naviaux-et-al.10550/

Marylib

For all we know, capaxone is not effective in a large percentage of patients with relapsing-remitting MS.

It's not like people with MS have a treatment they can actually count on, nor a cure. I wonder if there is a percentage who became progressive cases after certain treatments, or if relapsing-remitting cases change over time into progressive?

Last edited:

mitoMAN

So far, from Phoenixrising, I counted about 5 people who had no effect or side effects from Copaxone and only Rachel Riggs had positive effect for quite some time before the allergic shock kicked in.

So thats not toooo hopeful I guess?

As well as a rare side effect of liver damage. And Martin might have had a worsening due to it as well. (Tube feeding after 6 weeks Copaxone)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4528838/

Rachel Riggs

Rachel Riggs
So far, from Phoenixrising, I counted about 5 people who had no effect or side effects from Copaxone and only Rachel Riggs had positive effect for quite some time before the allergic shock kicked in.

So thats not toooo hopeful I guess?

Hmm, do you know how long they took Copaxone? Did they inject daily for at least 2 months?

Rachel Riggs

Rachel Riggs
I think @Martin aka paused||M.E. and @dreamydays did daily for 6 weeks each. Need to check if the others posted exact durations.

That is not long enough - I did not have immediate results. I started noticing subtle changes about 6-8 weeks into it and NEVER missed a dose. The gains continued to build and eventually I was back at the gym two hours per day.

mitoMAN

Did you happen to get your labwork done if you had a TH1 dominance?
Copaxone shifts TH1 towards TH2.

Many CFS Patients have a TH2 dominance. So it might not work for these. Just in theory with my limited knowledge.

I have a Th1 dominance. Tempted to try Copaxone, it might actually be somehow affordable if only 20mg per day is used.

Rachel Riggs

Rachel Riggs

Many CFS Patients have a TH2 dominance. So it might not work for these. Just in theory with my limited knowledge.

I have a Th1 dominance. Tempted to try Copaxone, it might actually be somehow affordable if only 20mg per day is used.

I'm sorry, I didn't get any lab work because this occurred before I even knew I had ME/CFS - I was still under the impression I had MS - and it was purely an accidental discovery.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Right, I’m TH2 dominant

Martin aka paused||M.E.

That is not long enough - I did not have immediate results. I started noticing subtle changes about 6-8 weeks into it and NEVER missed a dose. The gains continued to build and eventually I was back at the gym two hours per day.
But first you spoke of 3-6 weeks until you noticed a change in stamina. I think it's a bit confusing. I will try it anyway a second time but what is right now: 8 weeks or 3-6 weeks?