most houses I have lived in have a fire/hearth with a back boiler built in, So the fire heats the water tank and that heats radiators round the house. And you get hot water for baths etc too. My worst ever house was in coastal Cornwll.. Modern and all electic. No fireplace or chimney and great gales in winter. Out went the power.. We had a very experienced local plumber/electrician who managed to rig up a socket in my bedroom so I could use the microwave while the local authorities and insurance folk got their act together...One winter I had a great industrial generator in my main room,, Never again have I lived without a back up plan. ESB here are great and we old and "vulnerable" get priority in power cuts. Out they come n a chopperMy heroes! ...