• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cort's Chat with Dr. Mikovits

R

Robin

cort: i'm confused by the statement that WPI has received no federal funding. their current XMRV study is with the NIH.

rrrr

Six months after the Science paper they have not received ANY federal funding. Dr. Mikovits noted that the federal government was spending billions of dollars on HIV, which affects less than 1 million people in the country yet the NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases), the huge pathogen Institute at the NIH, has done absolutely nothing but XMRV.

Did they get the NIH grant after the study was published? I can't remember! Maybe she means that she hasn't gotten additional funding, especially from NIAID who is supposed to fund this stuff!

Rrrr

good point, robin! i think they got the NIH funding in sept 2009. and xmrv science paper came out in october, right? but the sept 2009 funded study is the one i'm in: for xmrv! so i'm still confused.

this is the notice on the WPI website:

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/news_current.html

September 24, 2009: WPI Awarded Prestigious NIH R01 Grant
New Strategies to Decipher the Pathophysiology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
WPI Research Director Dr. Judy Mikovits and collaborator Dr. Jonathan Kerr of St. George’s College in London were awarded this $1.6 million grant by the National Institute of Allergy And Infectious Diseases. This 5 year grant will provide critical support for the ongoing research into the causes and diagnosis of neuro-immune diseases.

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
Koan, in case I wasn't clear, I was referring to Khaly's comments. I miss her here. I've been extra brain fogged for over a week now due to overactivity.

I like to be on a few groups. You obviously shouldn't have been banned from the Prohealth web site for that. They did have a survey recently. It seemed like they were considering major changes.

There are always going to be people who don't agree with me!

Nope, I don't believe that.:Retro smile:

MEKoan

Hey Roy,

Yeah, I miss Khaly, too. I wish she were here.

You were nice and clear. I just started musing and wandering around in my head -- always a dicey business. ;)

Yeah, my PH banning was many years ago and I was allowed to rejoin much later as Rafiki. I am still a member but I can't keep up with more than one ME community. Some might say I struggle with one!

Sorry your thinker is giving you trouble. Don't you just hate that. I do, too! :tongue:

Peace to you,
:innocent1:

JillBohr

i just sent the autism speaks link you mention above to WPI's grant writers. michael someone-or-other. i called the WPI main number and sent the link to the woman who answered the phone and she said she'd send my email to michael.

Oh Rrrr, you are so Rrrrsome. Thank you!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
cort: i'm confused by the statement that WPI has received no federal funding. their current XMRV study is with the NIH.

rrrr

That was straight from Dr. Mikovits. What I think she was saying that the WPI itself hasn't received any federal funding for XMRV. Yes they are collaborating with the NCI - but I assume that's the NCI using their own (discretionary I believe) funds. WPI has apparently applied for grants to the Feds that have not been approved. That's unfortunate but not unusual - most grant applications are rejected - but if you put in a good number one would think at least one would get through. I don't know how many they've put in or how many have been rejected - but at least one was.

The WPI has actually gotten a good deal of federal and state funding for other projects (there's a big NIH immune grant - but apparently they haven't gotten anything specifically for XMRV yet - for in house WPI work.

Countrygirl

Hi Everyone,

This is to alert folk to Mrs Whittemore's excellent speech which has been posted on Global Action a few hours ago. Sadly, I don't yet know how to set up the link, but it is well worth reading. Perhaps someone could post it on a separate thread for people to read?

Thanks