• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cort's artical linked from About.com - Awesome work Cort!

G

George

Cort and the PR web site are getting a reputation for reliability and pulling together the news. Let's all work to help keep PR the best boards on the net!

XMRV & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Research News

Tuesday April 6, 2010
Research Briefs
XMRV, the retrovirus tentatively linked to chronic fatigue syndrome and prostate cancer, continues to be the subject of fervent research. Four new items of information have recently come to light.

#1: Treating XMRV Infection
A study published in the Journal of Virology demonstrates that the anti-retroviral drugs AZT, tenofovir and raltegravir may be effective treatments for XMRV infection.
Researchers also say that cells with certain defects, such as prostate cancer cells, may be especially good at spreading XMRV.

#2: Prevalence of XMRV in Blood Supply
A Japanese study showed that XMRV is present in both prostate cancer patients and healthy blood donors in Japan. Researchers found XMRV-specific antibodies in 1.7% of health people and 6.3% of those with prostate cancer.
Researchers also observed that the virus replication rate appears to be low, but that even so XMRV can spread through the blood.

#3: Replication Study of WPI Findings Planned
According to the Hunter-Hopkins Center in Charlotte, NC, pharmaceutical company Glaxo Smith Kline is paying for a study that will attempt to replicate the Whittemore Peterson Institute's XMRV research.
This up-coming study will use both Fukuda and Canadian diagnostic criteria, like WPI researchers did, and will use XMRV-positive chronic fatigue syndrome patients as a positive control. It will also have a control group of healthy people.
Three European studies that failed to find XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome patients have been criticized for not replicating the WPI's criteria and other methods. This will be the first attempt at a replication study.

#4: Utah Study Apparently Expanded
The Rising Phoenix blog reports that participants in an exercise-based chronic fatigue syndrome study were called back to be tested for XMRV, and that the study has since expanded.
Read more about this development here:

Learn more or join the conversation!

usedtobeperkytina

And, by the way, I know a writer who has had articles published on About.com. The number of clicks on the story affects the pay to the writer, I was told. Would also determine whether they put out more articles by that writer.

Tina

parvofighter

Thank you!

Good digging George (pat, pat)

Great writing Cort:Retro smile:

And yes, I clicked on it, Usedtobe!

Thanks for the easy directions!