• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

correct sleeping position and orientation to improve on health

linusbert

claims this chinese sleep guru master.
northern hemisphere folks should sleep, head to the east or east/south.
southern folks, head to the west.

his argument is, that the magnetic pull of earth magnet field is drawing on the blood iron and pulling blood to the head which isnt ideal.

if this is true or not i cant tell, but switching orientation is probably something most of us can try.

Last edited:
I'm afriad this claim is a load of rubbish!

The iron in the body is not magnetic (in the traditional sense). Further, Earth's magnetic field is so weak that the forces on blood iron are nowhere near the strength of gravity or even thermal motion in the blood.

If the claim were true, we would not be able to have MRI scans.

linusbert

The iron in the body is not magnetic (in the traditional sense). Further, Earth's magnetic field is so weak that the forces on blood iron are nowhere near the strength of gravity or even thermal motion in the blood.

not true, i saw magneto in x-men kill somebody with the iron of his own blood! it came in TV, so it must be true.

though magnetic field is strong enough to move a compass needle. so its definitely strong enough, but i think you are right with the blood iron not beeing that much magnetic.
but it seams to be somewhat magnetic depending on the oxygen content.
https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/1010-does-blood-have-magnetic-properties

Last edited:

Wishful

Even if the iron in blood was Ferromagnetic, an external magnetic field would only change the spin axis of the atoms, not "pull them to the head". The forces affecting the atoms would be insignificant compared to the flow of blood due to heart pumping, random jostling of atoms, friction, etc. Well water generally has significant iron content; does the spray from a hose curve northward?

Either the guru is ignorant of basic physics, or he's intentionally misapplying it for his benefit.

In short: utter nonsense.

BrightCandle

I'm more interested in the pillows stuff. Anyone have success with that?

I actually use 3 pillows to sleep on my side. I use one between my legs and it does indeed reduce problems with my lower back and I also use a third pillow to rest my under arm hand on to relax that shoulder. The top arm I don't do this because I turn too much and that pillow gets in the way and I don't find it comfortable anyway but these definitely do reduce the amount of problems I have with shoulders and back.

sb4

I actually use 3 pillows to sleep on my side. I use one between my legs and it does indeed reduce problems with my lower back and I also use a third pillow to rest my under arm hand on to relax that shoulder. The top arm I don't do this because I turn too much and that pillow gets in the way and I don't find it comfortable anyway but these definitely do reduce the amount of problems I have with shoulders and back.
I see. I'll try it tonight.

BrightCandle

I see. I'll try it tonight.

I also recommend replacing the primary pillow if you wake up with a stiff neck often. I was having terrible issues with this since getting ill and it turned out I really needed to move to a memory foam pillow. My issue with them historically was always they were too warm but I actually get along with a UTTU Sandwich Pillow. The neck support reduces the issues I have there.