• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

CoQ10: Ubiquinol/ubiquinone?

Moof

Posting this article for the benefit of anyone recently diagnosed, who's still trying to find supplements that help. It discusses whether the much more expensive ubiquinol is really better than ubiquinone (spoiler alert: apparently it isn't).

The article isn't referenced, and my knowledge of biochemistry hovers around the zero mark, so I have no way of assessing its accuracy. But given that new patients are frequently bombarded with recommendations for supplements, I thought I'd post it to alert them to the fact that:

- It's at least worth asking questions before spending money;
- Some people find that simply using a different brand of the same supplement gives better results than buying vastly more expensive 'more bioavailable' forms.

http://www.q10qh.com/ubiquinone-or-ubiquinol-does-it-really-matter

pamojja

If you're interested, there are already a couple of threads about this topic, if you enter ubiquinone+ubiquinol in a search:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?pages/google-search/

As pointed already out in those discussions, for me ubiquinol has double the strength compared to ubiquinone. Therefore if it isn't more than double the price always worth it.

Moof

I only looked it up because taking ubiquinol means I lose the benefits I get from CoQ10 (I've tried at least three brands over the years). I wondered if I was alone or whether there was evidence to support this. We're all different, but it does pay to try cheaper options too – I now choose to pay more for my fish oil, because low quantities of EPA and DHA means my severe eczema comes back and I also seem to have less energy. If things work, it's well worth paying for them; but as cheap CoQ10 works and top-price ubiquinol doesn't, it's one of the things I can do without!

Ubiquinol is the reduced form, and gets oxidised to ubiquinone in stomach acid anyway so they are the same. We make coq10 in the body from b5, and tyrosine so it is a non essential nutrient. Deficiency would be uncommon unless someone had a dietary b5 or tyrosine deficiency or an inborn error of cq10 metabolism.

As a general rule of thumb if something is commonly promoted (coq10, carnitine, ALA) it is non essential, and won't help many people. If something is claimed to be bad, and not promoted (PQQ, choline, soy lecithin, bakers yeast, other essential nutrient rich foods) it is good, and helpful.

I do AMAZING on coq10 800mg twice a day. I do 400 twice a day now ( mainly due to cost).

Brand matters ( I use nature’s bounty) I actually do better on coq10 than ubíquinol and when I posted, seems to be the case for Cfs (some do better in the active form) so try both and see what works for you. If you react tot he first one then no need to switch.

I've been really struggling this last 8 months with increased workload at work that I don't appear to be able to escape. At the same time part of me does feel a little better than it has in the past. Even so I tried Ubiquinol to boost my overall health as I've become highly sensitive to immune boosters like reishi and ginseng etc, even anti virals like lomatium make me high as a kite. I've only been taking the ubiquinol (100mg) for about a week but I do think it's already made a big difference. One of the major things for me as that I am still able to get to sleep, with occasional difficult while taking this stuff.

Q10 was great for me in the first 18 months, it absolutely works it just gets so expensive so quickly. As @Seven (formerly lnester7) said brand is quite important.

On the ubiquinol the muscle fatigue has gone really and the subsequent issues around that have gone too. This is more like the muscle spasms and twitches associated with fatigue that lasts more than a few weeks in my case.

I do still find it interesting that a lot of the medications Ron Davis tried on his plasma test like ss-31 were q10 inspired medications. Of course it's not done anything for the inflammation really but as I have asthma it's hard to find anything for that.

For years coQ10 powered me along, until one day it stopped working. Years of misery! I unexpectedly learned recently that CoQ10 absorption is impeded by low levels of NADH, and since going onto that ... the COQ10 is having its full impact again. Such a relief!

godlovesatrier

Yeah I think there's a complex process at work here. I felt pretty fantastic for the first 2 weeks on ubiquinol. Then I went away and increased daily activity a little not loads. After about 5 days I started to get typical ME symptoms. Began with my stomach bubbling and a general unwell feeling like a tummy bug. Then turned into lethargy and yesterday went into full blown fatigue. I took 3 or 4 omega 3 and 6 capsules thismorning and over the course of about 2 to 6 hours all my cellular fatigue disappeared. It feels like I'm going into shock that feeling you get after a car accident or a bad life event but with zero adrenaline. Then the body brain and cells just start to wake up. I'm convinced this is not due to the omega 3. But the omega 3 is unblocking a very slow nutrient pathway that slows right down without good diet and supplementation.

I am sure this is true because I've had this happen 3 times over 2 years. Every single time I stopped omega 3 for a few days or weeks then I went back on it and everything woke up. Don't get me wrong I still have ME but the omega 3 seems to give me about 25% more. Plus I was feeling like garbage before I took the capsules and 30 minutes later I was much happier and brighter. Must have starved my brain of good days while on holiday.

Will keep going with the ubiquinol won't know for a while yet if it works as I keep picking up every single virus and cold going at the moment.

Last edited: