• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COPPER TOXICITY SYNDROME by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Cindi

Easiest way to understand this would be having serum copper and plasma zinc tested.If serum copper is close to top of range and if zinc is at the bottom of the range than you might have zinc deficiency.

antherder

Hi Rand56,

I did some reading about the copper/estrogen relationship a while ago, but remember stuff all of it, I'm afraid. Other than that estrogen therapy increases ceruloplasmin, and that repeat miscarriages are seen in WD.

Lotus97

Mineral balancing is a tricky thing. This from a member here:
(I should note that the person did say they get a lot of copper from their diet, but they have also said they get a lot of manganese from their diet which is supposed to be a copper antagonist)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many things are copper antagonists (zinc, molybdenum, manganese, etc.).
Personally my serum Cu levels had been very low for a long time as well as ceruloplasminin. In the past taking Zn used to make me really tired. On the other hand if I took Cu I felt like *bleep*.
A couple months ago my doctor suggested Mo for sulfite processing and more zinc. I was like huh won't that kill copper, he said lets do it for a couple months and re-measure and also do a hair analysis. Note this was the first time I took Zn and Mo together. Guess what ... my copper went up in the serum (20 points) and the ceruloplasminin went from like 2.5% percentile to like 25% percentile Then hair analysis showed low Cu in the interstitial space though the Zn / Cu ratio was ok. My serum zinc was ok but my hair molybdenum was still really low and the hair zinc also low.
Personally I don't know where it is all headed but the 30 mg of zinc and 450 mg of Mo was a good move. Maybe I get plenty of copper in my diet. Dunno. I don't supplement with copper at this point. Copper scares the *bleep* out of me for multiple reasons.
So I don't think the kinetics is as simple as antagonist and agonist. There are multiple variables methinks.

I found Dr. Wilson's site and info extremely confusing, and I also read a lot of negative reviews from people who felt worse after his protocols and just stopped them. The thing that I don't like about Dr. Wilson is that he doesn't recognized OVERMETHYLATION at all, he only treats people for undermethylation.

The problem with this is that high copper levels very often correlate with overmethylation. I think Dr. William Walsh at the Walsh Research Institute is a way better source of information on this topic, as well as Dr. Mensah. They both discuss the issue at length and make the connections with epigenetic factors. I thought this article was really great too: http://www.courtneysnydermd.com/blog/copper-overload-too-much-of-a-good-thing3

Last edited by a moderator:
i will discuss Things to Take Care to avoid copper toxicity :
Don’t leave your drink inside a copper mug for too long, more than 2 hours to be specific
Always drink highly acidic drinks like vodka inside utensils that have food- grade coating inside.
drink any alcoholic drink in a glass container.
More over it you can get from article(read) on Copper Poisoning.