• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

copper coloured ring around pupil; copper toxicity?

antherder

Um...I'd actually never heard of xmrv until I joined this site...only just read about LDN a few ticks ago too. Interesting. CFS knowledge/treatment is pretty primitive over here in New Zealand. Three cheers for the internet.

Joa

Leaves,

You will have to excuse me as I have never joined a forum before, I hope this turns out okay and appears in the right place. I stumbled across your article whilst doing an internet search for XMRV and Copper Toxicity. I have been diagnosed with CFS (10 years) and a Hair Mineral test has shown Copper Toxicity twice in 4 years. I am consulting with a Russian Biochemist in the UK (where I am) as my General Practitioner believes CFS, and all of my problems, to be 'all in the mind'. I emailed my Practioner Alla with your article as I thought she may find it of interest. She is trying to do tests to see if I have Wilsons Disease, but Genetic tests are out of my reach at the moment. Currently taking Selenium, then will add in Zinc Acetate alongside I believe. My Practitioner has a Masters Degree in Biomolecular Sciences, I am not the slightest bit academic!! She asked me to post this information back to you in response to your article;

To check with the genetic consultant by what method they tested for Wilsons disease. If that was PCR (which is most likely as it is the cheapest) then it is only known mutations will be confirmed as they put only certain primers (bits of DNA with known mutations) to observe annealing with the analysed strand. But you may have a new mutation which is not known yet therefore the result could well be false-negative! If they performed the test by DNA sequencing then I could believe the result! Many people could be fooled with the test results (the genetic consultant should have explained that the PCR-based test is not 100% accurate).

Best Wishes to you.

leaves

Hey Joa,

Thanks for your post! I kind of forgot to tell my doc, Ill talk to him soon and ask him about it.
I dont think i have Wilsons, but I do think I have a copper problem. The 'article' was not written by me but I found it online (I included the link with the article) I tested xmrv positive and I would not be surprised if that is partly the cause of the copper problem.
Watch out with taking too much zinc as it may cause the xmrv virus to grow (it has that effect on HIV.) an excellent copper chelator that is ALSO an antiviral and antiinflammatory is curcumin. Enhansa is a special form of curcumin that is better absorbed.
Good luck and keep us posted if you can :)

TheMoonIsBlue

Darn, does this mean, generally, we shouldn't take any supplement with copper?I just started taking metagenics multi min chelate which is a balanced mineral supplement, it contains 50% of the RDA for copper.

And great.....I just started taking 20 mg of Zinc about a month ago because I've been reasearching things to help with PMDD/PMS and Zinc and a balanced mineral supplement were suggested.

rlc

i thought that wilsons was a circle around the iris and not the pupil? It is also not really a round ring but more a starry ring, if that makes sense?

hi all new here, what your discribing maybe whats called sunflower cataracts which can also be a sign of wilsons disease, would recomended that you get tests for wilsons done ie serum ceruloplasmin, 24 hour urine copper collection and get a ophtalmologist to examin your eyes with a slit lamp to look for kayser-fleisher rings and see if they are sunflower cataracts. hope this helps best of luck

leaves

oh ric I just see this; thanks! I will get it tested, although I dont think I can test it soon (not doing so well)

rlc

hi leaves sorry to here your not doing well, i know it can be realy hard doing things when not well but i just thought i'd let you know about the tests, i had them done the eye exam was done in under ten minutes, cerulaplasmin is just a simple blood test and the 24 hour urine coppers just collecting your all your urine for a 24 hour period. so as far as tests go there not to bad hope this helps, if it is wilsons the sooner you find out the better, but i certainly understand how hard it can be doing anything at times. best of luck!!!!

Paralee

I have plenty of copper and it didn't look like enough ceruloplasm but I really don't know how to figure it out.
Good luck!