• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Conventional medicine vs alternative treatments

Nielk

It would be very interesting to see how many of you feel that you have been
helped by conventional medicine as opposed to alternative treatments?

Myself personally, I think I've been helped more by alternative means.
It could be because I am so sensitive to any medications I have been receiving that in the majority of
time, it causes more problems than relief.

Alternative medicine is more gentle and I feel more personalized to each patient. Since we
are so different, alternative medicine is more geared to the individual and unique problems
we encounter.

I would like to see some feedback as to how you feel about this?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Nielk--

I can't take medication. (Can't begin to list all the adverse effects I have had. Don't even get an injection at the dentist for drilling.)
ALL my experiences with doctors, even those who have claimed to be "holistic" have ranged from awful to disastrous... and after what I recently went through with a doctor ERROR prescribing me iodine (see IN DEPTHS OF IODINE DESPAIR thread for more info), I have written off western medicine for all but the worst of life threatening emergencies.

So I'm definitely in the alternative medicine camp. I stick to herbs, vitamin supplements, TCM and acupuncture. I've found the alternative practitioners to be more sensitive to my over-sensitive body's needs, generally more empathetic, definitely more willing to listen and, most importantly, MUCH less likely to hurt me. *DO NO HARM* is a fine thought to remember, yes!

Resting

As you said we are all different. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I have found both Eastern and Western medicine is needed in my case. I'd prefer all or most to be natural aides but there are some things that natural remedies can't help, or at least can't help me. I can't tolerate many herbal products but have many problems with traditional meds. as well. So it is a matter of sorting out what works best for me. Each person has to do the same.

serenity

i'm with resting i don't believe it can cure all for me, but i am headed back into the alternative camp some. for 10 years i did no drugs due to past addiction issues & then i gave in. while i am helped by my sleep meds, i am so tired of the side effects of meds. i'm heading back to some herbal acupunture type stuff, but i dunno - we will have to see, that stuff has never helped as much as good old fashioned meds. except, i have to deal with all the crap that comes with the meds.

ukxmrv

I've been helped by both and harmed by both. In my case I didn't find alternative medicine to be any gentler.

I have responded badly to supplements and alternative treatments. Then again my health is badly affected by some "healthy" foods and vitamins/things like garlic.

I have had the most help with Imunivor, Valtrex and other conventional drugs. Tried to treat pain and mobility problems with massage, supplements, acupuncture when in the end Lyrica did more for me in a week.

All very individual. I can't say that I ever felt unique with an alternative medical practitioner. I've had attitudes from alternative people that would make the hard-core UK Psychiatric brigade blush.

I've been told all sorts of ridiculous and harmful things from alternative doctors who should know better. Met very few that understand that ME is different from chronic fatigue.

Many of them try to give that impression that each patient is unique but they still select from their repertoire which to a longterm disabled person who has tried many things, sometimes feels a little limited.

I'm happy to see an alternative person and I have had some pleasant experiences. However, I still need to filter some of the advice.

serenity

yes it is, i'm afraid. Lyrica put me in the ER. so, it's different for everyone. tho i must say i tried some Gaba today & it did nada, ended up taking a Xanax. but i'm taking a Xanax because i'm weaning off Lexapro because it caused Hair Loss! it seems i just can't win. nothing seems to really work.