• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused about 23andMe's packages

Arius

So I'm planning to order genetic testing from 23andMe, but there are two options for testing: a basic "ancestry and traits" package for $129, and a "health, ancestry, and traits" package for $249.

I don't want to waste my money, but I'm scared of paying $129 and not getting the results I need.

I get the sense that the price difference is just to pay someone from 23andMe to interpret my results and generate a bunch of extra (unnecessary) reports for me, which is work I could do myself (or with a naturopath) - is this accurate? Do I get my full DNA results and all the info I need about my SNPs with both packages? Or do I have to buy the more expensive one?

I don't care if I'm 14% sasquatch or whatever. I just want to know my SNPs etc so I can tweak my methylation protocol.

The doc helping me told me to get the cheaper one (in my case $99) and that will have all the info in the raw data he needs to feed into genetic genie and help me analyze - we are looking at MTHFR etc suspecting undermethylation. I just ordered mine and waiting for results.

SnappingTurtle

The doc helping me told me to get the cheaper one (in my case $99) and that will have all the info in the raw data he needs to feed into genetic genie and help me analyze - we are looking at MTHFR etc suspecting undermethylation. I just ordered mine and waiting for results.
@Lrn5 and @Arius , what kind of doctor are you working with? What qualifications might this doctor have, who can interpret the genetic data (I want to avoid getting bamboozled)? I am interested in understanding how to tweak my methylation process.

Arius

@Lrn5 and @Arius , what kind of doctor are you working with? What qualifications might this doctor have, who can interpret the genetic data (I want to avoid getting bamboozled)? I am interested in understanding how to tweak my methylation process.

I'm not sure if I can help you avoid getting bamboozled. I'm working with a Naturopathic doctor who happens to be super nerdy about genetics.

So sorry I just saw your question. I am working with a functional doctor out of Michigan in the US. He sort of specializes in genetics testing and other functional testing and I don't find him overly expensive. If you'd like his name and info let me know. I've been very happy with him.

SnappingTurtle

So sorry I just saw your question. I am working with a functional doctor out of Michigan in the US. He sort of specializes in genetics testing and other functional testing and I don't find him overly expensive. If you'd like his name and info let me know. I've been very happy with him.
Yes, please share his details. Thank you!!!

Yes, please share his details. Thank you!!!
His name is dr karl johnson... "Shelby Township Michigan - Johnson Chiropractic Neurology & Nutrition". He will actually do a brief phone consultation free so you can decide if you're a good fit to work with him. I knew right off the bat that he was very easy to talk to and new about the methylation cycle and that was what I was looking for. I've really looked around and he is reasonable with pricing I think. His assistant Stephanie is awesome and very helpful. And he does telemedicine so all by phone.

Learner1

23andme pointed out that I had hemochromatosis, genetic iron overload, which multiple doctors missed, even though I had weird iron numbers for 2 years, significantly worsening my situation, until I took them the 23andme report. At which point, they ran a LabCorp test, costing me $700, which showed them the exact same thing. Treating it has been helpful.

There were several other issues the test showed as well, that have been actionable, and recognized by conventional doctors.

Last edited by a moderator: