• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Compression Stockings for Low Blood Pressure

ahmo

Two years ago I had a months-long problem w/ swelling in lower legs and feet. Fortunately, my heart was deemed healthy. The swelling eventually decreased, but there was still a slight amount.

I'd also been having more frequent episodes of low blood pressure. Predictably it happened many days when I was doing my evening food prep. then it began also occurring in the AM as well. Palpitations, nausea, light-headed, hyperventilation. Lying down for 10-15 minutes helped, but I was feeling more and more impacted.

GP suggested compression stockings. Since I began w/ them at Christmas, I've had only one episode. I would never have imagined how helpful they'd be. I had to purchase a device (the 2nd one I tried) to get them on and off, as my arms are too weak to get them over my ankles when removing. (My first day wearing them, I couldn't get them off. I drove to the ambulance station 2 minutes away and had the attendant pull them off for me.)

I'm wearing 20-30mm hg, which is in the mid-range of the 3 possible strengths. I totally recommend them for anyone having low BP issues.

I have seen reports from others around the internet that compression stockings have helped their POTS. I'm glad they worked for you. How long do you wear them each day? Do you notice a big difference when you take them off?

From where did you purchase them? For awhile I tried with no luck to find some that looked more like running tights and less like hosiery.

jesse's mom

Compression socks are great for me especially when I it is the least bit hot.
I bought mine on Amazon.

Mine look like dressy socks. They make them with patterns also.

My friend got some at a medical supply store that are white and look like athletic socks.

Pyrrhus

A new study showing how compression stockings improve the poor circulation from orthostatic intolerance:

Compression Stockings Improve Cardiac Output and Cerebral Blood Flow during Tilt Testing in ME/CFS (van Campen et al., 2021)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...esting-in-me-cfs-van-campen-et-al-2021.86561/
Main points:
  • Without compression stockings, patients experienced a 25% drop in blood flow to the brain during tilt-table testing.
  • With compression stockings on, patients experienced only a 14% drop in blood flow to the brain during tilt-table testing.