• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Comprehensive Circulatory Metabolomics in ME/CFS Reveals Disrupted Metabolism of Acyl Lipids and Steroids (Germain, Levine, Hanson, 2020)

Marylib

Hello Mary,
unfortunately after one good month it stopped working and I stopped Tibolone. I started bleeding and the pain came back at the same moment, very similar to my ancient dysmenorrhea.
But any good day, or good week I can have are gifts that help me going through the bad days. There was a time (years ago), where I knew only bad days, and I remember how hard it was.
I now know autoimmunity, autonomic nervous system defect and small fiber neuropathy are involved in my disease, so I guess the good days can be either the result of my experiments or the natural variation of the disease; It's hard to say sometimes!
Sorry to hear that @pattismith I guess everyone is waiting for the magical "reset" button.

junkcrap50

Dichloroacetate sodium (DCA) or a fibrate drug (Bezafibrate) might be alternative metabolic enhancers to explore next.

Yep, I would emphasize: if you have ME/CFS, then playing with metabolism altering drugs is VERY RISKY - even when the known side effect profile is small in healthy populations. I tried Meldonium and experienced a partial crash. The anecdote might be useful in the future for some, but I recommend staying away from this particular substance.

Since you looked into these drugs, how would you risk assess bezafibrate?

In the Coronavirus thread, I'm discussing it because I found some fascinating on bezafibrates role in reversing cytokine storm (one cause of death by nCOV-19) by preventing an ATP crisis. So, I've always been meaning to have some on hand, just in case. (I've had severe viral infections with some degree of cytokine storm twice, causing and worsening my CFS.)

Seems fairly safe, especially for short term use (as in treating viral infection) and considering ME/CFS patients have no known fatty acid oxidation issues (right?).

Since you looked into these drugs, how would you risk assess bezafibrate?

In the Coronavirus thread, I'm discussing it because I found some fascinating on bezafibrates role in reversing cytokine storm (one cause of death by nCOV-19) by preventing an ATP crisis. So, I've always been meaning to have some on hand, just in case. (I've had severe viral infections with some degree of cytokine storm twice, causing and worsening my CFS.)

Seems fairly safe, especially for short term use (as in treating viral infection) and considering ME/CFS patients have no known fatty acid oxidation issues (right?).

Rapid muscle wasting leading to rhabdomyolysis is my major concern with the fibrates. We are already at a disadvantage muscle-wise with ME/CFS, so anything that may cause muscle wasting is a no-go for me.

An increase in fatty acid oxygenation would increase ROS too - so I would take plenty of antioxidants.

sb4

An increase in fatty acid oxygenation would increase ROS too - so I would take plenty of antioxidants.
I have been following a guy called peter @ hyperlipid for a few years and he would argue that you should avoid antioxidants with increased fatty acid oxygenation as it is the ROS which generates the insulin resistance signal.

In other words, if your cells are burning fat, you have more reverse electron flow in the mitochondria which generates more ROS. This happens because the electron chain is saturated and the mito is "full" of energy. This ROS then creates the insulin resistant signal that the cell doesn't need more energy. If this signal is reduced due to antioxidants then the fat cells will take in more nutrients and become fatter.

Of course antioxidants might help in other situations though.