• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

completely bedridden, eating in the stomach leads to a crash

My sister is completely bedridden and her new symptom is that when food gets into her stomach, she crashes. She has been eating very little for a few days and we are considering organizing artificial feeding for her. Does anyone know the problem or has experience with it?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Are you hoping to bypass her stomach? Do you think she's experiencing some form of gastroparesis? @Howard, might have some suggestions since that's what he has.

Also some of the feeding tube formulas like THIS one are also labeled for oral use. If you weren't trying to bypass her stomach you could possibly see if her doctor would write a prescription for one of those so she could trial it before having to go the harder route maybe. A peptide formula might be best because it's supposed to take some of the work out of digesting it.

Though if she has a lot of sensitivities even that might not work. I couldn't have that formula if I wanted it because of pea protein. When my Mom was in the hospital and they were doing TPS feedings, the dietician said that people who have issues with soy can also cross react to pea. ??

That's the other thing. Could she be sensitive to the foods she's eating. Even basic foods can cause issues depending on each individual. Can you try some other foods that she doesn't eat often. Gentle things like maybe avocado or sweet potato. IDK. Hopefully others will have some suggestions as well.

It's a really hard situation. You're a good brother looking out for your sis this way. Saying a prayer for both of you.

Last edited:
Are you hoping to bypass her stomach? Do you think she's experiencing some form of gastroparesis? @Howard, might have some suggestions since that's what he has.

Also some of the feeding tube formulas like THIS one are also labeled for oral use. If you weren't trying to bypass her stomach you could possibly see if her doctor would write a prescription for one of those so she could trial it before having to go the harder route maybe. A peptide formula might be best because it's supposed to take some of the work out of digesting it.

Though if she has a lot of sensitivities even that might not work. I couldn't have that formula if I wanted it because of pea protein. When my Mom was in the hospital and they were doing TPS feedings, the dietician said that people who have issues with soy can also cross react to pea. ??

That's the other thing. Could she be sensitive to the foods she's eating. Even basic foods can cause issues depending on each individual. Can you try some other foods that she doesn't eat often. Gentle things like maybe avocado or sweet potato. IDK. Hopefully others will have some suggestions as well.

It's a really hard situation. You're a good brother looking out for your sis this way. Saying a prayer for both of you.

"Are you hoping to bypass her stomach?"

Exactly, she says that's what happens when the food gets in the stomach, no matter what the food. The smallest sips of liquid throughout the day, currently 150 grams.
"Do you think she has some form of gastroparesis?"
Don't think so, because somehow it started all of a sudden and she doesn't get a stomach ache, but a crash condition.

Unfortunately, oral nutrition would not work

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
I'm sorry to hear about these difficulties. Really, I don't know the entire story, but a doctor really needs to get involved here.

Her difficulties could be the result of a bezoar (a massive of undigested foods in the stomach). Gastroparesis. Some kind of blockage or obstruction. Low stomach acid. Severe constipation. The mesenteric artery impinging upon the duodenum (restricting proper emptying). A neurological issue. And possibly a host of other things, up to and including some type of flu related illness, or as mentioned, some type of food intolerance.

For me, I have severe gastroparesis (resulting in a feeding tube being placed).... and possibly something else going on, involving my duodenum and upper jejunum (small intestine).

Anyway, there are all sorts of directions this can go in. In most instances, it's nothing to get worked up about. However, she needs to be seen somewhere.

Hope this helps,
Howard

Cinders66

I’m tube-fed but for swallowing dysfun rather than digestive. Doctors and dieticians need to be consulted. it is something that seems Q common If you have an HR monitor this might “verify “ The difficulties her body experiences, i don’t know.