• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Comparison of CFS and CRPS Demographics

PoetInSF

I recently heard about CRPS, some sort of sympathetic nerve disorder. Did some googling, and found that its demographics is strikingly similar to CFS (4:1 female to male, mostly 40s and 50s):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12749974

No idea what that means, if any, I just thought it was interesting. It's a real disorder btw, triggered usually by an injury. (ie, no debate about it being psychosomatic, etc.)

Jenny

I was diagnosed with this, after a minor shoulder injury caused by a ski-ing accident. Six months after the injury the pain got worsebecame neuropathic and then gradually spread all over my back arms and shoulders. I had odd pins and needles and the slightest touch caused pain. It gradually resolved over 2 years, and then became more typical fibro pain.

When I had the accident, I was in a long remission from ME, which I first had 20 years earlier. I see this accident as leading to my additional diagnosis of fibro, and then, over the next few years, more severe ME symptoms.

I think it's fairly likely that there's some kind of neurological abnormality that is similar in the three conditions.

Jenny