• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

commentary on Dr. Hanson's new article

ebethc

this was authored by Mady Hornig (@ columbia) - not Hansen (@ cornell) .... what am I missing?

I haven't been paying attention to the "research" lately, so I'm out of the loop... thx

ebethc

which tests would reflect these impaired results?

1. CD4+ and CD8+ T cells had impaired resting glycolysis.
2. CD8+ cells additionally showed activation-related metabolic remodeling deficits and decreased mitochondrial membrane potential; a subset had increased resting mitochondrial mass.

wabi-sabi

@ebethc
Hornig wrote the commentary on Hanson's article. I read Hanson's article and found it rather dense, so Hornig's explanation was helpful in understanding what Hanson's lab had done. Thought I'd post it for other people who might have trouble wading through the original. Also, having the commentary in the same journal as the original research lends weight and importance to the research findings and will hopefully help other scientists pay more attention to them, so it was encouraging to see it.

In regards to the tests, I think that was something to do with the Seahorse (not positive since I read it a while back). At any rate, I think they are research tests and not clinical tests so I'm not sure we can get those done on ourselves.

ebethc

@wabi-sabi

ah, that makes sense... thanks for posting....

@ebethc
At any rate, I think they are research tests and not clinical tests so I'm not sure we can get those done on ourselves.

hopefully these people will figure out that without actionable results, their "work" is meaningless. I'm going back to ignoring the "research" now..

wabi-sabi

I find this work very meaningful. It's describing exactly what's wrong with us, it's showing that it's not "all in our heads" and it will teach the docs what to test us for and then how to treat it. The faster this work gets done, the faster we all get cured. It's frustrating in the meantime, but we can't skip these background steps. When you know what's broken and how, you stand a much better chance of being able to fix it. That's what the Hanson lab is working on.

ebethc

@wabi-sabi

LOL.... I get it..... because I've had similar sentiments for 40 years!

In hindsight, I think I was too optimistic and if I had been more cynical, I would have made different choices and would be in a more secure position now... I was SO sure there would be a cure or at least enough insight / research to understand how to manage better ... So, I completely understand the choice to live that way, and I'm not trying to persuade you to any other POV. I just don't personally have 10+ years to wait around*.... There's no roadmap; it's all "ooohhh, this is so INTERESTING!!" I think anyone can only invest in that for...so....long...

FWIW, my money's been on Maureen Hanson since this most recent round of interest in CFS ramped up (ie the ron davis era).... I don't know why; just a hunch.....I only tune in when I see her name...

--
* On average, it takes at least ten years for a new medicine to complete the journey from initial discovery to the marketplace, with clinical trials alone taking six to seven years on average. The average cost to research and develop each successful drug is estimated to be $2.6 billion.
http://phrma-docs.phrma.org/sites/default/files/pdf/rd_brochure_022307.pdf