• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coming off the contraceptive pill, anxiety :(

Jemima37

I hope this is ok to post. I couldn’t see a female forum on here.

I started with heavy periods about 9 years ago. I had to have tests etc but they found nothing wrong. At the time I was about 31/32. I had 3 children. They’d always been heavy but suddenly were a lot worse and more painful. I had a scan and the gynaecologist said it would be best to try a pill as my hormones were a little out of wack. I had horrible cystic acne and I was suffering badly with anxiety.

The low dose contraceptive pill worked wonders. It was loestrin 20. My periods have been barely anything during the 8 years on it. It has been amazing. Sadly it’s been discontinued and now due to my age I’m not allowed to try any others as there are none available at that low dose.

Can anyone reassure me a little? My husband keeps saying you don’t know they may be lighter now after all these years. I am on pins as I don’t know when they’ll start either. It’s so triggering for me 😢 I know I probably sound ridiculous, I’m almost 41, I’m such a baby but I find heavy bleeding a real trigger, I can’t even look haha. I don’t know why but since suffering PTSD anything medical or bleeding triggers me.

I was due to re start my pill Friday, but obviously I didn’t, it’s now Sunday and this evening I’ve had some smears of pinky/brown. Which could just be the end of my weeks break off the pill but it made me anxious I’m having abnormal spotting or something. My husband said no this will be very normal as your body would usually have the pill back in it’s system the last 2 days. I just don’t know what to expect. Can anyone reassure me it’s normal?

I don’t have a mum, sister or female friend in my life to talk to either.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I'd help if I could. I was anemic my whole life due to heavy periods and had 3 fibroid tumor operations (the cause). I lived on iron pills and coffee. Did they check for fibroids? You can have them removed but 10 years later they come back. I can only say 'poor baby' and hete's a remote hug: (H-U-G!)

lenora

Jemima, Hi.....No one can tell exactly what your symptoms will be. Try not to be alarmed about your discharge...brown is only a symptom of old blood. When/if you start with heavy periods again, then get in touch with your gynecologist or better yet, make an appointment. There are some natural treatments (e.g. wild yam) used now that the body can tolerate. I don't know the latest findings on them or I would tell you. Your body's probably going to be a bit confused for awhile, so bear with it.

As I recall you're already on meds for anxiety, so they should help as anxiety may/may not ramp up during this period. Good luck with the entire process; have patience. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jemima37

Jemima, Hi.....No one can tell exactly what your symptoms will be. Try not to be alarmed about your discharge...brown is only a symptom of old blood. When/if you start with heavy periods again, then get in touch with your gynecologist or better yet, make an appointment. There are some natural treatments (e.g. wild yam) used now that the body can tolerate. I don't know the latest findings on them or I would tell you. Your body's probably going to be a bit confused for awhile, so bear with it.

As I recall you're already on meds for anxiety, so they should help as anxiety may/may not ramp up during this period. Good luck with the entire process; have patience. Yours, Lenora.
Thank you 😊

lenora

Hi @Jemima....I began menopause at the ripe old age of 42. That doesn't mean to say that symptoms like hot flashes won't be a regular part of your life; so much of that depends upon hereditary, etc., but at the ripe old age of 73 so many things stopped giving me problems. At least I don't have constant hot flashes, follow by severe cold during my waking hours. We're all different, Just go for your regular gynecological appts., as that will give you some reassurance and do ask about the wild yams mixture. I do know that some doctors here were prescribing it.

I find it hard to believe there isn't a medication that can be cut in half to give you a lower dose. I do know that liquid prozac exists (at least here) and it was used on my youngest daughter many years ago. It did the trick beautifully and we were able to start her on minute doses. The doctors knew nothing about it, but I kept calling labs until I found something that would work. Just always get another name/no. to call before you hang up from the person you're talking to. I did the seem thing when my husband had 2 Cardiac Arrests due to Organophosphate Poisoning.....I can be very tenacious when needed. Perhaps that will be your niche, also.

You can expect almost anything during pre-menopause and menopause itself. Like I said, your best friend during this will be your gynecologist. You absolutely do have to see her/him or the chances of receiving the care you'll want will be non-existent. I wish you well and hope you'll enjoy the holidays. Yours, Lenora.

Jemima37

Hi @Jemima....I began menopause at the ripe old age of 42. That doesn't mean to say that symptoms like hot flashes won't be a regular part of your life; so much of that depends upon hereditary, etc., but at the ripe old age of 73 so many things stopped giving me problems. At least I don't have constant hot flashes, follow by severe cold during my waking hours. We're all different, Just go for your regular gynecological appts., as that will give you some reassurance and do ask about the wild yams mixture. I do know that some doctors here were prescribing it.

I find it hard to believe there isn't a medication that can be cut in half to give you a lower dose. I do know that liquid prozac exists (at least here) and it was used on my youngest daughter many years ago. It did the trick beautifully and we were able to start her on minute doses. The doctors knew nothing about it, but I kept calling labs until I found something that would work. Just always get another name/no. to call before you hang up from the person you're talking to. I did the seem thing when my husband had 2 Cardiac Arrests due to Organophosphate Poisoning.....I can be very tenacious when needed. Perhaps that will be your niche, also.

You can expect almost anything during pre-menopause and menopause itself. Like I said, your best friend during this will be your gynecologist. You absolutely do have to see her/him or the chances of receiving the care you'll want will be non-existent. I wish you well and hope you'll enjoy the holidays. Yours, Lenora.
Thank you.

Im not having hot flushes or anything like that. So I’m not worried about menopause or pre menopause right now, I know I’ve got it all to come. I’ve had 3 periods since coming off the pill so I’m just seeing how it goes, so far I’ve coped fairly well. Some anxiety but I’m trying to get used to it again.

Here we also don’t get referred to gynaecologists unless we’re having some symptoms that require that kind of treatment. My first port of call would always be my GP. Currently I am off the pill and just getting used to having a normal cycle, so I’ll just see how I get on.

Wolfcub

I wasn't referred to a gynaecologist with menopause, and my GP seemed pretty clueless. It was a case of "get on with it". My herbalist (professional medical herbalist) ended up being my best friend. His concoctions definitely helped. Agnus Castus helped too. I did try Wild Yam. But I was useless on my own. I needed some professional help with the herbal remedies. I don't know what I would have done without his medicines.

Jemima37

I wasn't referred to a gynaecologist with menopause, and my GP seemed pretty clueless. It was a case of "get on with it". My herbalist (professional medical herbalist) ended up being my best friend. His concoctions definitely helped. Agnus Castus helped too. I did try Wild Yam. But I was useless on my own. I needed some professional help with the herbal remedies. I don't know what I would have done without his medicines.
Thank you.

I’m not currently worried about the menopause, the menopause isn’t really something I’m thinking about at the moment. I came off the pill in August so I’m just having normal cycles nowadays I’m trying to get used to it again.

Thank you 😊