• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Combo of deep-sleep brain waves predicts blood sugar control

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/coupled-deep-sleep-brain-waves-predicts-blood-sugar-control/

“In the electrical static of sleep at night, there is a series of connected associations, such that deep-sleep brain waves telegraph a recalibration and calming of your nervous system the following day,” said Walker. “This rather marvelous associated soothing effect on your nervous system is then associated with a reboot of your body’s sensitivity to insulin, resulting in a more effective control of blood sugar the next day.”

This might be of interest to anyone whose ME affects their blood sugar control. I find it interesting how the sleep patterns affect the rest of the body.

"Stage 3 NREM sleep, the deepest stage, makes up about 25% of total sleep time in adults and is what you need to wake up feeling rested."

I wonder whether anyone has checked whether PWME have abnormalities in Stage 3 NREM sleep. What I can tell of my sleep patterns seems abnormal.

Rufous McKinney

I've noticed when I had alot of difficulties (back when I worked, sleeping was much harder)

not sleeping hugely disrupts insulin resistance. Blood sugar is much more difficult to control. And being awake in the night with an active brain, simply also seems to consume many calories.

Wishful

FWIW, "Stage 3 NREM sleep ME/CFS" didn't show any papers. I don't know whether that means that various studies on sleep in PWME measured Stage 3 NREM brainwaves and found no abnormalities, or whether no one has studied those frequency patterns.