• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colostrum Three Times More Effective than Flu Vaccine

gumman123

I'm in Australia, and got 500g colostrum powder from ebay for $50. If colostrum is typed in on ebay it is the first listing to come up. Try typing colostrum or colostrum powder in on ebay in your country, and see what comes up or there is this one on iherb which works out to $75 a kg

https://au.iherb.com/pr/California-...ted-Instantized-rBST-free-7-05-oz-200-g/52394

I will try that one in the future as I intend to take colostrum long term. One study said bovine colostrum is 100-1000 more potent than human colostrum. Amazing stuff. Some farmers sell fresh colostrum. I havn't had it but if someone knows a farmer maybe they can get some.

JES

Paradoxically things that are very good for the "normal" population can have negative effects for us. I remember trialing colostrum several times and it consistently produced worsening of gastroparesis/SIBO and a flare-up of inflammatory symptoms. It did seem to stimulate my immune system, so presumably it could be quite effective at fighting off colds or some other chronic infections that someone with ME/CFS may have.

gumman123

Its good for gastrointestinal diseases, and healing the guts too

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5409709/

Colostrum bovinum supplementation was safe and effective in decreasing of intestinal permeability in this series of athletes at increased risk of its elevation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27100711

Colostrum is safe since there are no contraindications regarding high dose levels and few side effects of clinical relevance have been reported

Colostrum is a rich source of nutrients and biologically active molecules that are essential for several specific functions including defensive action, the modulation of immune response, the balancing of intestinal microbiota and the growth and repair of several tissues. The components of colostrum, acting synergistically, can intervene in various pathogenetic phases of several diseases, thus contributing to an improvement of clinical symptoms. Colostrum may also have a preventive action or reduce the side effects of several drugs that are currently used for treating various diseases of humans and animals. It may also play an important role in accelerating the recovery of health and body weight during convalescence. More generally, colostrum may be administered with the aim of maintaining a good health status, strengthening the immune system and preventing disease. Current farming methods foresee the production of large quantities of raw colostrum for continuous availability. Colostrum used as supplement must be of high quality and a standardization of the product is required. Pharmaceutical companies aim to produce commercial products containing bovine colostrum while biotechnology companies attempting to clone and produce large quantities of its main components. The growing interest in this natural biological fluid is supported by the encouraging results obtained in scientific studies and clinical trials carried out both in vitro and in vivo in humans and animals, although further research is required to confirm its potential and long-term effects. Colostrum is safe and does not have contraindications even at high dose levels and there are few reported side effects of clinical relevance. Therefore in the near future, this “first milk” may play a complementary role to synthetic pharmaceutical drugs, in the prevention and treatment of several diseases of humans and animals and it may improve the daily health of populations in developing countries.

JES

Colostrum is safe since there are no contraindications regarding high dose levels and few side effects of clinical relevance have been reported
Great, but that has little bearing on whether it's really "safe" at 20 grams for most of this forum members, who are severely ill. The following quote from Robert Naviaux summarizes this problematic quite well (Naviaux one of the leading experts in studying ME/CFS):
Many patients with CFS have suffered for years or decades. Their metabolic reserves are severely depleted. We have found that if we give the same mito cocktails that we give to patients with genetic forms of mitochondrial disease, the jolt is too much for most people with CFS and they experience a paradoxical flare in their symptoms. Just a simple thing like taking just 25 mg of vitamin B6 and 100 mg of magnesium can send some people into heart palpitations and a feeling of being unwell for hours after a single dose, while a baby with a mitochondrial disease takes twice this much every day without difficulty.

I experienced a bad worsening, which resulted in a case of myocarditis when I tried a combination of colostrum and a probiotic in 2015. It might have been the probiotic that caused the problem, but you can never be too sure about anything with this disease. If I would take 20 grams in a single dose tomorrow I'm pretty sure I'd get a violent immune reaction, which could have serious consequences.

gumman123

The inventor of the polio vaccine- Albert Sabin- recommended colostrum to prevent polio.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273699739_Bovine_colostrum_An_emerging_nutraceutical

Colostrum has been known for centuries for its health
benefits [19]. Research has also shown that colostrum
constituents from bovine (cow and buffalo) sources are
100-fold to 1,000-fold more potent than that of human
colostrum. This means that even human infants can rely
on cow or buffalo colostrum to gain health benefits [9,
20, 21]. In 1950, Dr Albert Sabin, who developed the polio
vaccine, eventually found that BC contained antibodies
against polio virus and hence recommended it for therapy
in children at risk for contracting polio.

Albert Bruce Sabin (born Abram Saperstein; August 26, 1906 – March 3, 1993) was a Polish American medical researcher, best known for developing the oral polio vaccine, which has played a key role in nearly eradicating the disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Sabin

https://www.statnews.com/2018/03/01/albert-sabin-polio-vaccine/

ANTIPOLIOMYELITICACTIVITYOF HUMAN AND BOVINE COLOSTRUM AND MILK
Albert B. Sabin, M.D., and A. Howard Fieldsteel, Ph.D.
The Children's Hospital Research Foundation, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
http://sci-hub.tw/https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/29/1/105?download=true

The present report will deal with the capacity of human and bovine colostrum and milk to neutralize type 2 poliovirus, the occurrence of this neutralizing capacity of milk in relation to presence of antibdy in the serum, its specificity and properties.

Farmers have been using fresh colostrum from the cow / goat as medicine since time began so it is safe. I have no problem with 20g a day colostrum. It tastes nice. But if you think taking colostrum caused a bad reaction in you don't take it anymore.

JES

Farmers have been using fresh colostrum from the cow / goat as medicine since time began so it is safe. I have no problem with 20g a day colostrum. It tastes nice. But if you think taking colostrum caused a bad reaction in you don't take it anymore.

In other words, what is "safe" for the general population is not necessarily safe for someone with ME/CFS. I'm not sure if you have ME/CFS, but many of us respond badly to even a fraction of the normal dosage of supplements, let alone when taken in grams.

(edited by a moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

gumman123

Well, thanks for completely ignoring my point, which is still stated in my previous post. In other words, what is "safe" for the general population is not necessarily safe for someone with ME/CFS. I'm not sure if you have ME/CFS, but many of us respond badly to even a fraction of the normal dosage of supplements, let alone when taken in grams.

Sorry for missing the point. If you took colostrum, and probiotic pills, and got sicker after then I would recommend you don't take them anymore.

(edited by a moderator.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hip

I wonder what would happen if we were able to obtain or create an oral colostrum product which precisely matched our own personal portfolio of infections (ie, matched the various viruses, bacteria, etc that we host in our bodies, or at least in our guts, where the IgG in colostrum does its work)?

The colostrum from each cow contains IgG antibodies to the infections hosted by that particular animal, which may be a narrow spectrum of infections. But by taking colostrum from a whole group of cows, which will be infected with a wider range of pathogens, you can achieve a broader spectrum of IgG coverage. I believe the colostrum you buy commercially derives from a group of cows, providing a cross-section of IgG antibodies that target various common cow infections.

But what if you could infect a cow's gut or blood with the exactly same infections that you have in your gut or blood, and then consume the colostrum from that cow? That colostrum would then contain IgG antibodies which precisely target your own infections. That might create a much more effective colostrum. This might be possible if you lived on a farm.

One woman claimed she cured her ME/CFS by using a similar method: she injected a small amount of her blood into a farm chicken, resulting in the chicken creating IgY antibodies to the infections in her blood. Those IgY antibodies are produced in abundance in the raw egg yokes of that chicken, which the woman then ate daily.

Her chicken egg IgY cure for ME/CFS is detailed in this thread.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

I have just ordered some colostrum to give it a try. I think it is a powder formulation. Was wondering what is the best way to take this?

I"m a bit unclear on that also. I was taking enteric coated ones, with the notion that this is a prebiotic, and its being consumed to increase happiness of desirable gut organisms.

So how would one consume these powders.

It was some years ago I tried those capsules and didn't get any benefit, but also noted that likely due to my IBS-d issues, I'd see them undissolved later, floating. Not good.

godlovesatrier

I am finally giving this a go, another one to tick off on the very large spreadsheet. I am only taking 800mg a day though to begin with. Hoping it won't be as stimulating as GOS was and will nourish my terrible lack of bifido and lactobacillus that occured after my recent crash.