• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold seizures

I have a odd symptom. I get freezing attacks that feel like a seizure. I will suddenly start shaking and chattering my teeth. I have muscle contractions. Even if it is in the summer I have to put on thermal underwear and sweat pants and put a heater full blast in my room. It's really strange. Sometimes I feel like my have to bite something and I fear I will break my teeth and or bite my tongue off. I have put in a mouth guard before out of fear. That never actually happens but it gives me a major anxiety attack. It usually happens when I push myself for a period of time. I am pretty pig headed and try to push beyond my limits frequently.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Heartl

@Spanky88 i get something a little similar. If I over do it (which isn’t very much) I get episodes that wake me at night that only happen when I’m dreaming. I wake up freezing white a weird feeling in my head and will start shaking if I don’t immediately wrap my head and body with blankets to warm up. Also it’s very hard to wake up completely but once my brain is fully awake then I can warm up. I haven’t told my doctor yet because I’m scared of the testing they will do on me will make me crash.

Zebra

The reason I asked if you had taken your temperature during these episodes is because diseases (or dysfunction) of the central nervous system can cause hypothermia. (Really!)

So, if you were having an attack, and your temperature was in the 95 degree range, that should be brought to the attention of a doctor asap.

Of course, I don't know you, or anything about your medical history, so feel free to ignore me! :)

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I get very cold even in summer with goosebumps but no seizures.

This happens several times a day and when it does, I use it as an indicator that I've overdone it and need to go lay down again. (Overdoing it doesn't take much; usually just sitting at the computer too long. :( )

I still sleep under an electric blanket on high and two comforters. And yep, still have winter thermal jammies on.

The reason I asked if you had taken your temperature during these episodes is because diseases (or dysfunction) of the central nervous system can cause hypothermia. (Really!)

So, if you were having an attack, and your temperature was in the 95 degree range, that should be brought to the attention of a doctor asap.

Of course, I don't know you, or anything about your medical history, so feel free to ignore me! :)

One thing I noticed that can cause a attack to come on is using a cannabis product. I don't use any anymore because of this and other things. It happens other times without it but it can trigger it.

But next time it happens I will scan myself with the digital thermometer. I know hypothermia can be dangerous.

@Spanky88 i get something a little similar. If I over do it (which isn’t very much) I get episodes that wake me at night that only happen when I’m dreaming. I wake up freezing white a weird feeling in my head and will start shaking if I don’t immediately wrap my head and body with blankets to warm up. Also it’s very hard to wake up completely but once my brain is fully awake then I can warm up. I haven’t told my doctor yet because I’m scared of the testing they will do on me will make me crash.

I am sorry to hear that is happening. It sounds scary. Maybe it is due to adrenaline or something from having a nightmare or something? I get sleep paralysis sometimes and I am freaked out and my heart is pounding but I can't fully wake. 😔

I get very cold even in summer with goosebumps but no seizures.

This happens several times a day and when it does, I use it as an indicator that I've overdone it and need to go lay down again. (Overdoing it doesn't take much; usually just sitting at the computer too long. :( )

I still sleep under an electric blanket on high and two comforters. And yep, still have winter thermal jammies on.

Being cold all the time sucks. It was one of my worst symptoms for a long while. I noticed that opiods relieved it or at least I didn't feel it.

Yeah, thermals are a godsend. They really changed my quality of life.

I have experienced feeling very cold, even shivering, at a normal room temperature, due to a low sodium level.

Interesting, I don't think mine is related to that. I eat too much salt. I am one of the one's with very high bp and am sodium sensitive.

junkcrap50

Yes, I used to get shivering attacks like you described often with heavy sweating too. I had to put on sweat paints & hoodie and be under several blankets and 2 comforters. Once when I was visiting my friend abroad in college, I had to sleep in between two space heaters (borrowed from the library), all the blankets my friend had, and slept wearing jeans, two socks, down jacket, and gloves. My friend was a good friend to have slept in that tiny dorm room I made into an oven.

I can only attribute my shivering attacks to some sort of immune response. I never could tell why or when I would get them. I don't think they were due to me pushing or overdoing it. But during that time, I did chill very easily and always got cold. Maybe it was a temporarily weakened immune system which got overwhelmed fighting my chronic viral infections. I would be quite normal after I stopped shivering. I believe I stopped getting them after eating/taking GcMAF Bravo yogurt, because I also stopped getting constantly sick with a cold or flu afterwards. My immune system definitely improved / changed after the Bravo Yogurt.

The shivering could have also been a detox or herx-like reaction. Once, I had a terrible shivering attack and also got very sweaty, felt horrible with bad malaise. But it all went away instantly after the shivering incident caused a huge, urgent bowel movement that cleaned my entire guts out. Felt like I was a detoxing a lot through my stool and the shivering was a bad reaction to whatever I was detoxing.

Yes, I used to get shivering attacks like you described often with heavy sweating too. I had to put on sweat paints & hoodie and be under several blankets and 2 comforters. Once when I was visiting my friend abroad in college, I had to sleep in between two space heaters (borrowed from the library), all the blankets my friend had, and slept wearing jeans, two socks, down jacket, and gloves. My friend was a good friend to have slept in that tiny dorm room I made into an oven.

I can only attribute my shivering attacks to some sort of immune response. I never could tell why or when I would get them. I don't think they were due to me pushing or overdoing it. But during that time, I did chill very easily and always got cold. Maybe it was a temporarily weakened immune system which got overwhelmed fighting my chronic viral infections. I would be quite normal after I stopped shivering. I believe I stopped getting them after eating/taking GcMAF Bravo yogurt, because I also stopped getting constantly sick with a cold or flu afterwards. My immune system definitely improved / changed after the Bravo Yogurt.

The shivering could have also been a detox or herx-like reaction. Once, I had a terrible shivering attack and also got very sweaty, felt horrible with bad malaise. But it all went away instantly after the shivering incident caused a huge, urgent bowel movement that cleaned my entire guts out. Felt like I was a detoxing a lot through my stool and the shivering was a bad reaction to whatever I was detoxing.

Both of those possibilities could definitely be the case. I notice when I get like that I get very OCD and a particularly bad sore throat. It brings a chronic strep infection to mind.

I never had heard of Bravo yogurt before. Thank you for the info on that, I think I am gonna try it out. 🙂

Springbok1988

This happens to me when I’m under a lot of stress. My body temperature actually drops to around 96.5° F (35.8° C). My teeth begin to chatter uncontrollably and I shiver a lot. I have to curl up under blankets with a heater on. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it is like a seizure, though. Mine doesn’t get that bad.