• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold infection and temporary improvement

Treeman

Hi, I recently caught 2 cold infections within 3 weeks of each other. Both times at the start of the infection I noticed an improvement of energy and general well-being despite the growing negative symptoms.

Ha anyone else noted this and does anyone have an explanation, thanks.

Wishful

There have been other threads about this. It works that way for some PWME, and not for others. Some of the hypotheses might apply for some people, and for other people a completely unrelated mechanism might be in play. Thus there probably isn't 'an' explanation to be found; there will be many, and only one of them might apply to you. Confusing disease. :meh:

hapl808

Yes, definitely experienced that. When my cold symptoms are bad, some of my ME/CFS symptoms improve. But it's a short improvement and possibly gets worse when the cold dissipates. Guessing that the immune system change is responsible, but no idea in what way or how that information could be used.

Seadragon

I have asked two immunologists and also several doctors about this phenomenon but they could not explain why this happens. There have been quite a few threads about this over the years - nobody seems to have any idea about it.

Rufous McKinney

I assumed it was immune related, but as always, who knows?

This totally just happened to me....after getting acutely ill with a severe gastro shut down...that might have been a viral flair up (as I never went out anywhere to obtain a new virus).....

After about 7-10 days of post acute awfulness, some of the ME symptoms just sort of subsided...

my gut was almost perfect for the next 10 days.

I had far less mast cell-derived inflammation

I think I might have even knocked out the SIBO I likely have....

Aches and swellings were far less, and other ME pain was way less.

Now its sort of gradually reverting maybe...10 more days later.

THEORY:

body had to attack something in a big way. My immune system was entirely taxed, and major demands were given. I think it got temporarily AMPED UP somehow.

Then also the gut shift....my gut had no food for 7 days. What happens in the gut when that happens? No way can I fast for even one afternoon.