• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CMX001 Brincidofovir

Has anyone already used this drug?

I know it is not officially aproved yet. But you can buy the drug from several suppliers for research use.

I wonder if anybody know what to do with the powder? Can I just swallo it? Or do I need to fill it in capsules? Or is it possible to do it IV?

Thanks for your input and I wish you all a nice day👋🏼

Dan_USAAZ

I am no expert on this subject but seem to remember reading about this drug very recently. As per my memory(?), I believe that all the studies into the oral version were discontinued due to causing severe stomach (GI) problems.
On the positive side, they formulated it into an injectable version which I believe is still in research. It is said to cross the blood brain barrier very well and is estimated to be 10x more effective than its comparable predecessor (Vistide?).

Sorry to be so vague on some of these points. As mentioned, this is from memory and I am not in a position (cognitively) at this time to research again.

Main point is that it may not be advisable to use orally, but an injectable version may be quite effective.

I will watch this thread in the future to see if you post any additional detail and I may add to it as well.
Best wishes!

Thanks for your input Dan_USAAZ.

I read in a trial description the following:

"An Open-Label, Single-Dose, Randomized, Two-Period, Crossover Study Evaluating the Absolute Bioavailability of Brincidofovir Administered as CMX001-P-SUS-HPI-010 Suspension Formulation Compared to CMX001-P-IVS-PPS-003 BCV Intravenous formulation in Healthy Japanese and Non-Japanese Adult Subjects"

Can anybody tells me what these abbreviations mean? Is that the description of the used solvent?

Bye.

Hip

Brincidofovir (CMX001) is the prodrug of the antiviral cidofovir (meaning that it will turn into cidofovir in the body).

Cidofovir has been used to treat ME/CFS (by Dr Dan Peterson for example); it's disadvantage is that it has to be given by IV infusion every two weeks.

mitoMAN

could it be given I.M. And qualify for our discord as medication to source?
Brincidofovir (CMX001) is the prodrug of the antiviral cidofovir (meaning that it will turn into cidofovir in the body).

Cidofovir has been used to treat ME/CFS (by Dr Dan Peterson for example); it's disadvantage is that it has to be given by IV infusion every two weeks.

Hip

could it be given I.M. And qualify for our discord as medication to source?

Unlike cidofovir, brincidofovir is orally bioavailable, so does not need to be injected. Whether injection might reduce intestinal side effects of brincidofovir like diarrhea, I don't know.

Apparently using brincidofovir results in higher intracellular levels of cidofovir, compared to when using just cidofovir.

Brincidofovir will probably only be useful for herpesvirus ME/CFS patients, as it works against a range of herpesviruses, but does not work for enterovirus.

Pyrrhus

Brincidofovir will probably only be useful for herpesvirus ME/CFS patients, as it works against a range of herpesviruses, but does not work for enterovirus.

It's been a while since I looked at Brincidofovir, but if I recall correctly, it had great promise for treating parvovirus, adenovirus, JC virus- which are all DNA viruses with no effective antiviral drug.

I'm not sure it was the right decision to stop development of the oral formulation, given the fact that it potentially treats several currently untreatable viruses.

1612721518911.png

Does it means, that in April 2021 BCV be available as a treatment for smallpox?

Phase 3 trials against CMV have failed, but let's remember that the main customers of such drugs are transplant survivors, this is not our case.
And that number of side effects was reported for the same group.
Those. it is incorrect to regard these problems with the gastrointestinal tract as those that will be for all other groups.