• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clonidine

Clonidine was RXed for me at .1mg to take at night due to a recently diagnosed complex dysautonomia.

I’m both curious to try it (since my heart at times pounds away at night) and concerned (since I sense that kicking into sympathetic drive is a compensatory mechanism vital to my body surviving the ravages of ME).

Have any of you taken it? If yes: at what dosage? How did it affect your ME? Did you notice side effects?

There was a clinical trial some years back. Did not help ME but there is no telling with an individual. I tried it to no useful effect some years past.

I did read about the trial just today. It’s okay with me if it were to have no effect. My concern is more that it could have detrimental effect. Did you have any difficulty coming off it?

out2lunch

I started taking it at the beginning of this month for my ADHD. I also had mild hypertension which the clonidine has lowered to normotensive levels. I take it in the morning, some days I also take a small amount of modafinil with it if I need extra help concentrating. I like the way clonidine makes me feel. I’ve always had this internal restlessness as long as I can remember, and the clonidine definitely tamps that down. Lowering my blood pressure is merely a bonus.

kendonoghue

Ken Donoghue
I was diagnosed with Hyper-adrenergic POTS by UToledo doing a NE blood level at resting and after walking around awhile. Clonidine has been the best medication for me, I've been taking it for the past year now. It's not totally cured me, but keeps me closer to 24 hour schedule and gives me some regular 1-3 of useful energy/time during an average day. I ramped up to .3mg b.i.d after starting on the .1mg b.i.d. dose.

I’m glad to hear of some successes with it. I remain wary for myself. My BP is fluctuating often wildly - one day this week at 135/85 and the next day at 82/49, both lying down.

One doc had me on clonidine as required as a shot in the dark. Took it one time as directed and BP dropped to something like 66 over 45. Was about dead in the ER and they had to place an IV in my foot to get fluids moving.