• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clongen Lab XMRV Test

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

I predict you will now be a superstar for finding this test, well done.

I hope it works though, the Co-Diagnostics test hasn't found 1 single positive so far on this forum. :(

oerganix

It seems to say turnaround time: 3- 5 business days,

Plus $50 for the test kit and FedEx label.

Instructions don't seem too clear to me, but maybe it's me that isn't too clear.

Also:Announcement To Physicians in NY State: Our laboratory is not licensed in the State of New York and we are therefore unable to process clinical samples from New York State. At this time, any samples shipped to us from physicians in NY will be shipped right back. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are in the process of filing to obtain NY licenses and will make an announcement once our application is approved.

omerbasket

1 ml?!

Hi,
Been reading some of the threads here in the last few days. I want to say that I don't expect much from this test, for various reasons (in general, it seems like for now only the VIPDx is doing the necessary steps in order to find XMRV if it's there, and even this diagnosis might miss it, i think). The main reason for now is, that as I remember, according to WPI (I don't remember if it's Dr. Lombardi or VIPDx which is connected to him, or another person from the WPI) 20 ml of blood are necessary for the test. this lab requires only "at least 1 ml of whole blood". Cooperative Diagnostics requires only a drop of blood - and we can see that there are no positives here in the poll regarding their test. So maybe we really do need 20 mililiters?

G

George

What Google has to say

After the first 3 pages of hey we're in a unique position to take advantage of. . .

I found a few items of interest

I noticed that they have tests for Morgellons another very controversial illness.
Dated January 30th 2008
source: http://www.morgellons-uk.net/?p=335
Clongen Laboratories
Based on the structures that we observed microscopically from a number of Morgellons patients and the clinical profiles, we have reasons to believe that this organism is not a virus or bacteria. We hypothesize that this organism is a more complex fungus, algae or a novel parasite. The fibers are most likely feeding structures as they have strong resemblance to aerial hyphae observed in many fungal species. Our research is focused on genetic investigations of the DNA in lesions and fibers. Our experiments will include assays that attempt to amplify any bacterial sequences and identify them by DNA sequencing if present to rule out or confirm that the organism is a bacteria as other investigators have hypothesized.
On an interesting page about the CEO and founder Ahmed Kilani

source http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Kilani_Ahmed_-63590.aspx

The Morgellons Research Foundation wants to thank Ahmed Kilani, Ph.D., the president of Clongen Laboratories. Dr. Kilani is a microbiologist who learned about Morgellons from someone suffering from the disease and decided to help. He has been volunteering his spare time and his lab to perform this research because he truly cares. We want to thank Dr. Kilani for all of his efforts. You can find information about Dr. Kilani's Morgellons research at his website www.clongen.com.

Ahmed Kilani, Ph.D., President and Laboratory Director: The company was founded by Dr. Ahmed Kilani in 1999 in Mountain View, California. Dr. Kilani registered the company in California and conducted business as a Biotechnology Consulting Firm. Dr. Kilani holds a Bachelor degree in Medical Technology, a Masters in Clinical Science (San Francisco State University) and a Ph.D. in Infectious Diseases and Immunity (University of California at Berkeley, 1999). He is also board certified nationally (American Society of Clinical Pathologists - ASCP) and in California (Clinical Laboratory Scientist - CLS/MT). Dr. Kilani has extensive experience in Microbiology, Virology, Molecular and Cell Biology. The laboratory facility in Germantown, MD was established in 2004. The company consists of two main divisions: Clinical Diagnostics for Infectious Diseases and Contract Research. We hold state and national licenses in laboratory medicine (CLIA-Certified). Dr. Kilani can be contacted at 301-916-0173 (Ext 204) (877-CLONGEN) or by e-mail at akil@clongen.com.
They are also listed as a lab of choice for the Lyme foundation
http://www.peerobservations.com/RESOURCEStrifold.pdf

Activity:
- Clinical Trials
- Contract Manufacturing
- Contract Research
- Licensing & Business Development
- Manufacturing
- Research & Development
- Sales & Distribution
Product / Technology type(s) covered:
- Bio
- Devices
- Diagnostics
- Drug delivery
- FP (finished products)
- Preventive
- Reagents
- Technology
Therapeutic targets:
- Aging
- AIDS
- Allergy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Arthritis / Rheumato
- Asthma
- Cancer
- Cardiovascular
- Central nervous system
- Cough / Cold
- Dermatology
- Diabetes
- Gastrointestinal
- Genetics
- Geriatrics
- Hematology
- Infectious Diseases
Company Contact
Clongen Laboratories, LLC
12321 Middlebrook Road, Suite 120
20874 Germantown
MD
United States of America
Phone: 301-916-0173
FAX: 301-916-0175
Send an email
Markets Covered

a. HeadQuarter: United States of America
b. Continent(s) active: North America , Europe , Australia/New-Zealand , Near/Middle East , Africa , Asia
c. Countries active: USA, Canada, France, Britain, Italy, Australia, New ZEaland, Middle East
Corporate data:

Number of Employees: 4
They cover a lot of ground for 4 little ol' employees!

:cool:

kurt

Hi,
Been reading some of the threads here in the last few days. I want to say that I don't expect much from this test, for various reasons (in general, it seems like for now only the VIPDx is doing the necessary steps in order to find XMRV if it's there, and even this diagnosis might miss it, i think). The main reason for now is, that as I remember, according to WPI (I don't remember if it's Dr. Lombardi or VIPDx which is connected to him, or another person from the WPI) 20 ml of blood are necessary for the test. this lab requires only "at least 1 ml of whole blood". Cooperative Diagnostics requires only a drop of blood - and we can see that there are no positives here in the poll regarding their test. So maybe we really do need 20 mililiters?

Different types of PCR test require different sample sizes. Some real-time PCR tests really do only require small amounts of whole blood, which could be gained even from a drop of blood (on the right type of collection paper). WPI/VIP is using an older standard PCR method that apparently requires more blood.

But all that said, there are some questions about PCR testing for the virus WPI found, apparently WPI is backing away from PCR testing now, per their Facebook post today. Hard to say what that really means.

omerbasket

Different types of PCR test require different sample sizes. Some real-time PCR tests really do only require small amounts of whole blood, which could be gained even from a drop of blood (on the right type of collection paper). WPI/VIP is using an older standard PCR method that apparently requires more blood.

But all that said, there are some questions about PCR testing for the virus WPI found, apparently WPI is backing away from PCR testing now, per their Facebook post today. Hard to say what that really means.
For me, it's very easy: there are two labs that's been offering XMRV test for a while, with different techniques in each test, and two studiies that tried finding XMRV, with different techniques in each one.
As much as we know, only one of these techniques has been successful so far in finding XMRV.
I don't really understand the science here, I addmit, but as I see it, it's easier to not find XMRV even if it's there, thant to find XMRV if it's not supposesd to be there - at least when we're talking about many exams that WPI, VIPDx and the labs that succeeded in replicating WPI's finding did. So what would I trust more, tests that I don't know about them finding even one blood sample positive for XMRV, or a test which I know finds some of the samples positive and some of them negative? I choose the latter.

And there are other reasons for my choice, too (I trust WPI much more than I trust other labs/researches, because the WPI's establisher has an interest in making here daughter healthier. Finding a retrovirus that they know is not there, is not gonna make her daughter healthy).

Again, excuse me for my English mistakes (I'm from Israel).

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

It's probably best to stick with VIPdx, although this company at least offers an alternative for people who are in a long waiting list there.

Yeah and the cost is only $25 less than VipDx. Because VipDX lowered their cost and doesn't charge for the test kit/label.

I just came across this from Clongen Laboratories, LLC

http://clongen.com/XMRV_PCR_Testing.php?gclid=COrbu46jsZ8CFQwpawodG1E_LQ[/URL]

12321 Middlebrook Road,
Suite 120 Germantown, MD 20874

Phone: (301) 916-0173
Fax: (301) 916-0175

White Paper on Xenotropic Murine Leukemia - Related Virus (XMRV)

by: Jane Bolhofer & Ahmed Kilani

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), formerly referred to as myalgic encephalomyelitis, is a debilitating condition that affects approximately three out of every 1,000 people. Characterized by persistent fatigue, impaired mental capabilities, and joint or muscle pain, CFS symptoms mimic other illness such as Lyme disease, Mycoplasma infections, autoimmune disorders, and infectious mononucleosis. Immunologic manifestations of CFS include low cytotoxicity of natural killer cells and increased concentrations of cytokines. Of the 1-4 million chronic fatigue syndrome patients in America, one-fourth are unemployed or on disability due to the crippling effects of CFS. While CFS affects both men and women, the prevalence of CFS is four-times higher in women. Additionally, CFS is more common in adults and adolescents than in children. Because of the wide array of possible symptoms, treatment plans are tailored toward the individuals needs and the severity of symptoms (1).

Diagnosis of CFS continues to be a problem due its remitting-relapsing cycles along with its inconspicuous nature. In fact, less than 20% of Americans with CFS have been diagnosed. A new study by researchers suggests a correlation between CFS and a gammaretrovirus known as xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV). XMRV is a gammaretrovirus that infects humans and has been linked to prostate cancer and fibromyalgia. Gammaretroviruses are viruses containing RNA genetic material and have the propensity to insert genetic sequences into the hosts DNA. Though further research is being conducted, a preliminary study detected XMRV in 67% of CFS patients compared to 3.7% of healthy patients (2).

References:

1. http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/

2. http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/xmrv_qa.html

Clongen Labs currently offer a test for the presence of XMRV by Real Time PCR.

Sample requirements:

A minimum of 1 ml of whole blood collected in an EDTA tube (purple top)

Turnaround Time:

3-5 business days

Cost:

$375 per sample

How to order?

Please download the Clinical Laboratory Test Request Form. Fill out the top portion, payment information at the bottom of the page and select XMRV from the list of tests under Viruses (the list is alphabetical)