• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Claustrophobia in the mind?

bensmith

I feel I’m becoming claustrophobic in my mind. Is that possible? I see a therapist today, anybody else have this issue.

JES

Claustrophobia is the fear of confined spaces, but if I understood you correctly you perhaps mean something different. I'm not sure being "stuck in your mind" can strictly speaking be referred to as claustrophobia, I could be wrong. I sometimes feel stuck with anxiety, brain fog and fatigue, but I never developed a fear of those feeling, it sort of became the new norm over the years.

xebex

It’s hard to know what you are experiencing because everyone’s feelings are so personal and subjective. I get a feeling in my brain like it’s swelling and that my head is really huge my doc said it’s a type of migraine called Alice in wonderland syndrome, I think it’s directly related to not clearing food toxins and or histamine and then they cross the blood brain barrier. If I cut processed foods and sugar this feeling goes away. If I think about it it could be described as a feeling of pressure in my skull which I guess could be considered a claustrophobic feeling - does my description offer any clarity?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I wonder if you are experiencing air hunger without realizing it. That would make you feel claustrophobic, I think. Lots of us have air hunger.

bensmith

It’s hard to know what you are experiencing because everyone’s feelings are so personal and subjective. I get a feeling in my brain like it’s swelling and that my head is really huge my doc said it’s a type of migraine called Alice in wonderland syndrome, I think it’s directly related to not clearing food toxins and or histamine and then they cross the blood brain barrier. If I cut processed foods and sugar this feeling goes away. If I think about it it could be described as a feeling of pressure in my skull which I guess could be considered a claustrophobic feeling - does my description offer any clarity?
Wow actsully this hits home a bit, cant dier correctly because no power and having horrible histamine issues.

@Judee i think its somethjng else but i do have air hunger as of late!

@JES yes i think that is a very big partnof it. Like my mind itself is a tight space super weird.

xebex

Sorry you’re suffering so much today the fact you have histamine issues suggest it could be causing these kind of feeling of course there probably hundreds of ways this kind of feeling occurs.

bensmith

@xebex thank you, i am today hope tomorrow comes with more ease soon. I wish i was lucky with power neihbors are! I think itll be another week without power, but thankfully we got hands on generator.

the company has monopoly on metro power and neglect best practices!