• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Churning Tummy In The Mornings

Just coming out of a bad patch and feeling a bit more human at last. I have noticed though that when my IBS is bad it is much worse in the early morning when I first wake up, and I can have several urgent bathroom trips.I have been having this again through this relapse. I feel much worse in the morning too and it has been a struggle getting up at times. Has anyone else found this and if you have IBS is it worse around breakfast time?

I did wonder if it is tied in with the low blood pressure which falls when I stand as this is worse in the early hours too.

kat0465

dont know why, but it seems like everything is worse in the mornings. i can go to bed feeling kinda ok, and wake up feeling like im gonna die.
a lot of nights i dred goin to bed cause i know the mornings are going to be total Hell!

Kat

Hi Kat

Well that is me too! Only last night I said to my husband can't I stay up all night as I am dreading waking up sicker! I always feel much worse in the morning.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hiya!
I think the tummy probs are worse in the morning because this is the natural time for the intestine to start moving and "do its daily duty", so to speak. It is normal for it to grind to a near halt over night (waking in the night for a BM is a sign of certain specific problems I think) and when you have an ill intestine, the re-start is painful.
Have you tried psyllium husk in water? I take a tablespoonful about an hour before dinner. My mornings are pretty good these days!
If you haven't tried it, you could also see if a course of Xifaxin helps. (Doctors normally prescribe this for "travellers diarrhoea" and it is good for SIBO)
Athene.

Okay, this might be one of those TMI moments... but my stomache is a mess in the morning. I always have 'several urgent bathroom trips...and yes, I have IBS too, which was diagnosed years before CFS. Ironically, my sister, who ALSO has CFS, has the same problem. We can't leave the house until we've both 'done our business' and we carry anti-diarrheal wherever we go. :( Anyways, we both had a good laugh about it when we realized we both were on the 'same schedule' even though we live hundreds of miles away from each other! So, you're not alone!

Also, I don't usually eat in the mornings anymore because it makes me feel nauseas. I often skip lunch for this reason, too. I do start my day with a nice heaping glass of salt-water though for my low blood pressure and that seems to help the energy levels a bit.

kat0465

i can sure relate, i don't know what it does to our bodies when we sleep. even if i nap during the day i wake up feeling like death.
you might try some gatorade or something like that. it does tend to make my tummy a little better, and even helps when i feel like im going to get a migraine.

if i read someones post right, they saw Klimas in florida and she told them to drink 32oz of gatorade or whatever kind they liked. i think it helps with low blood volume, which is probably part of our Problem. at leat it can't hurt.
Boy i can't wait to go to bed tonite, i didnt sleep at all last night. which means i'll probably sleep like a rock, but lord the morning is gonna be hell;(